Ootheca pre/post-hatch caresheet?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melonberries

Reaction score
This year is my third attempt at incubating and hatching an ooth (stagmomantis species), and I feel like maybe this time I'll be lucky enough to have nymphs. I can't find any dedicated caresheets from the community about the hatching process and what to do afterwards, and I want to be prepared for it.

• What is the ideal enclosure (size, material, etc) to hatch the ooth in? I've heard some people use mesh cubes/cylinders
  • Are the hatchlings particularly fragile after they're born, akin to a freshly molted mantis? In which case should I leave them be for a certain period of time before separating them?
  • How long does one typically wait until feeding them their first meal?
  • What's the safest/best way to "start" the hatch (or I guess get it warm enough to truly incubate it)
Any other important precautions to take for a first time parent are also appreciated.

For context, the ootheca was laid in November and I have kept it in the same enclosure (2.5 gallon habitat) with less ventilation and lots of extra layers of paper towels misted daily to have it in diapause during the winter months. I've been waiting for temperatures to be consistently warmer before I plan to take it outside and gradually warm up the enclosure in the sunlight. Since it's supposed to get in the 70s (farenheit) by next week, I have a feeling it's almost time.

My apologies if this information has already been discussed elsewhere, I checked the forum categories and threads beforehand.

hi
They usually take 6 weeks to hatch. You could spray the ooth with distilled water. Nymphs typially hatch around early am and most at 10:30 am.
They just need same temps and care you gave mom. Or if brought off someone just what temps you are used to.
Youshould leave them alon at least for 24 hrs. The x morning get yourself a fine mist bottle (like the one on my site)
and keep the mist at least a foot away as yu want to give them a drink, not drown them witch can happen easily.
You can try some tiny mels at this time, but most will run from them. So don't put in a lot. Springtails work to if you don't have the fruit flies.
You say it was laid in November . what temp are you keeping it? if room temp, the ooth is not viable. Get back to me so I know where to go from here.

Latest posts