Orchid Mantis Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiosity

Reaction score
Hi. . . I bet you've heard this question a million times before, but. . . to really narrow it down to a specific set of groups. . . if I were to go online, specifically to Bugs in Cyberspace of Panterrapets, to buy, specifically, an Orchid Mantis or a Creobroter Gemmatus, and I live in Idaho in the USA, would I need a legal permit or anything like that for it to be completely legal? 

I haven't actually ordered yet, nor will I until I stop accidentally killing my European mantises, but I want to be prepared for a few years down the road.

Nope! Go ahead and order. I ship mantids and buy mantids all the time, and I've never thought about a permit.

- MantisGirl13 

Thanks. I'll probably still wait until I've proven to myself that I can successfully raise nymphs, though. I'm not doing so well in that department.

Don't judge your experience on Europeans. They tend to be harder to care for as nymphs, with lots of random dieoffs. A creoboter species would be much easier. Possibly even orchids.

- MantisGirl13 

Okay. . . thanks for the suggestion. I probably was responsible for some of those deaths, tho. I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing.

Okay. . . thanks for the suggestion. I probably was responsible for some of those deaths, tho. I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing.
It's alright! We learn from experience. My first mantis was kept in a small, low container with no ventilation and not much to eat. She died by a mismolt because she had no room to molt. We all make beginner mistakes, and we learn from them. So don't be afraid to jump in and try another species!

- MantisGirl13 

It's a small world. . . that's how my first mantis nymphs died, too. 

I think I'm going to take your advice and look into those creoboters. . . the main setup I was planning to use for the European nymphs this year (and will still use) is mostly that I have a couple of those fish-tank grille-top cages, some milk bottles with the tops cut off (and some tulle to use as a lid for those), and then there's the one mesh butterfly habitat thing. I plan to put sticks in these for molting purposes. . . This year I actually did enough homework to know what nymphs eat, I'll probably try using mostly fruit flies and house flies. . . and I guess I'll be looking into spray bottles, too, since I don't have anything I could mist a cage or anything else with. I'll also probably add in small (milk bottle cap small) pools of standing water once the nymphs are big enough to avoid falling in and drowning. 

How would I have to alter that setup for a creoboter mantis. . . and is there any way it's not right for Europeans, too?

Creos are tiny. They can comfortably live in a 16 to 32 oz deli cup their entire life. 

- MantisGirl13 

Okay. . . so everything else is fine?
Should be, except no standing water. Spray once a day and they will drink from the droplets. Creos are very forgiving. They will eat anything, stay small (about an inch,) are beautiful creatures, and have great personalities! 

- MantisGirl13 

Latest posts