Petco

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with most of what I've read in this thread, but it really depends on the individual store. My girlfriend and I both keep mantids, and the Petco near my house sells only the hydeis in a small tube, while the one near her house only sells melanogasters in decent-sized pots which have lasted for a pretty long time. I agree with Phil that feeding your mantids just with stuff from Petco is likely to get expensive - but I still know which day of the week the one near me gets its crickets. ;)

Was in a Petco today and noticed their flies looked excellent for once. I needed to start new cultures so I picked one up. THis is the first time I have seen good cultures here and the price was right.

I typically buy my fruit flies from Petco also. It's like $10 which is always a bit difficult to part with when they are so easy to breed. But, I do it out of convenience/laziness. The cultures there usually look good at my local Petco anyway, though they do occasionally run out. On a recent trip, I talked them into giving me two for the price of one since the cultures were on their last legs. They were reluctant, but persistence paid off. Of course, a little water revived both cultures back at home.

I typically buy my fruit flies from Petco also. It's like $10 which is always a bit difficult to part with when they are so easy to breed. But, I do it out of convenience/laziness. The cultures there usually look good at my local Petco anyway, though they do occasionally run out. On a recent trip, I talked them into giving me two for the price of one since the cultures were on their last legs. They were reluctant, but persistence paid off. Of course, a little water revived both cultures back at home.
Interesting. They are between five and six bucks here.

Really Rick? I had to get some recently, and they were ten bucks per vial, mels...and dead. Not good. I had a look at their wax's and mealies...dead or pupated. Angy face... Overall not a good experience.

As far as pet stores go, I have only bought FF cultures at PetCo. What they have here in Tacoma are made by the Fruit Fly Company in Port Angeles WA which is only a couple of hours away. They sell out quickly, so they have always been fresh. I have only seen melanogaster but I was told last week that they are expecting hydei cultures soon. (To date, my hydei have been ordered on-line.)

I have been grateful for the fruit flies they carry! They dont check on some of the feeders they carry though. I looked in the containers of superworms and waxworms and they were empty! Look in all the containers before you buy!

Terrible fruit fly experience!  Went there in a pinch.  They said they had them and when I arrived, I was given a small vial with 1/2 dozen dead flies and ONE live one!!  I just gaped at the sales associate.  Luckily, a small, local reptile joint had cultures.