Pregnant mantid not laying eggs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimama

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm afraid it may be too late to ask for advice. My chinese praying mantis got pregant months ago and has still  not laid her eggs. I have had her in a butterfly cage with the tips of some mugwort stalks, which I know they like to lay their eggs on in nature. She is still eating and drinking, but her abdomen is shiney and it almost looks likethe squigly layers of an egg case when you see through her abdomen.

Any advice on what I can do for her? I don't think she would survive long outside. Inside, she seems to be oozing a little liquid once in a while from her behind.

Thanks for anything that might help her!

Alice

image.png

Cut back on feeding, increase humidity, add a ton of sticks; all different sizes.
Exactly what I was going to say except I've also heard increasing heat can help.

And make sure there are plenty of good ooth laying spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first mantis had that too. Not laying her ooth and lost fluids from behind, but depite more humidity, more sticks, she didnt make it.

I hope it will work for your girl.

Just mentioning it. If she is ooth bound, eventually the ootheca material inside her will harden and her abdomen may rupture. It could just be that she needs more time though.

Just noticed you posted this about 2 weeks ago. Any updates?