Rant :D

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gripen

Reaction score
Well a couple of things have been on my mind recently. The first thing is the lack of research these days. It seems to me that people buy buy buy but don't think about what they're actually getting until it shows up at there door step. Than they don't no how to properly care for it and they either ask basic basic questions like what is the gender of my gongy? It annoys me because if you read a very basic mantis care sheet you would know. Instead of doing research they bought the "coolest looking thing" they could find.

Another thing that annoys me is the amount of off topic chatter on the threads lately. If you post in a thread than it better be relevant to the ORIGINAL topic! If not don't post its as easy as that. If the thread is a question and the question has been answered once or twice than unless you have a different answer don't post.

I'm done now. Thanks for hearing me out.

Wordy! Some I agree with, some I don't! people like to post, it helps keep the forum active. Totally agree on buying things just cause they are cool! Like the firehouse dogs, they went over big when the movie came out, turns out the dogs had a lot of problems no one wanted to deal with.

Threads are going to go off topic, it often leads to more information being put out there (eventually) or it keeps the thread alive until something exciting happens (say for instance the Malaysian Species thread in the photos forum). Obviously there's a limit to how much off topic a thread can go, and that's up for the mods to draw the line, so far I think they're doing a great job.

I completely agree with the doing research part. In fact, I know someone who recently bought an idolomantis from mantisplace. They don't know how to really take care of it, and I feel so sorry for the little guy. People who have never dealt with their native species (I'm obviously talking about Americans) try out these exotic species and can't take care of them. Btw, I'm not talking about people on the forum, just people in general. I see no problem in getting the exotics, just be able to take care of them, and don't deplete the wild population to almost non-existent.

hi,

how are you really feeling? you know what peeves me off much?

it's people who feel the need to rant about junk that is not only "off topic" in the general mantid discussions section, but rants about how members are doing things that you don't like.

of course, I'm only kidding. keep venting. sometimes I need to do the same thing. I would just post my rant in the off topic section, but you clearlly don't like that idea. :tt2:

I hope you feel better in the morning.

Harry

I like it more or less the way it is...

I am new to the hobby and have often posted questions with out searching first...often cause I think I may have mis-stepped somewhere.

I like that everyone is willing to pop on and make suggestions without condesending remarks.

maybe they could make a newb section and a pro section, but then the pros might just convo with eachother and not be as much help to us newbs.

I have resisted the urge to jump on orchids idols (and only recently aquired a gongy) but at the sametime some species are just "cool" looking and I can see how someone might get in over their heads.

all I am saying is you have personally responded to my posts with helpfull info I guess I could have scoured around for, but I appreciete your sharring your advice and experience as well as all the other folks who shared their advice & experience.

I pulled the trigger and became a forum supporter because I felt so thankfull for the wealth of info at my fingertips and am sorry if any of my posts spured this "rant" which sounds like more like a peeve that just needed to be aired.

I still have a hard time seeing segments on mantids right in front of me. posting pis for help has been helpfull and someday I will be just as willing to chime in on some future newbies question.

I do agree with starting with some easier species and upgrading with experience (this also allowas the gradual accumulation of equipment besides experience)

anyways thanks and sorry if I annoy

:eek:nline2long:

anyways thanks and sorry if I annoy

:eek:nline2long:
we have all been there.

if we can go back to the old stuff that never made it after a server reset, I would show you some silly stuff that I used to freak out over.

now, I just look at my 1 day of no bluebottles (yesterday) as a gift that I don't have to feed the bigger guys. back in my begining, I would have lost it, and would think that I'm killing my babies!!!! never mind the time I killed all my houseflys in the freezer and had no flys for a week....with about 40 ghosts and creos to feed. ^_^

plus, in the past I too would hunt for tons of info, yet still ask questions that I knew the answer to just to make sure I'm doing things correctly. I even would read chinese websites for Idolo info to make sure that the guys here were not going down the wrong path, or defend some of our guys on another forum for the way they are trying to deal with Idolo issues...yet I never kept Idolos until now (a year later).

now, even with my maturity with keeping mantids and deep understanding of Idolos, I still ask the big guys for advice or help. it's why this forum is here. so we can help each other. :clap:

Harry

Not me, I am not of that ilk!

I do a lot of research in a species I think I would like to keep.

If I find out that I can provide them with what they need, I will buy a few and wait.

If I still like them, and if they get on well with the conditions I give them, I will get more.

I like it more or less the way it is...

I am new to the hobby and have often posted questions with out searching first...often cause I think I may have mis-stepped somewhere.

I like that everyone is willing to pop on and make suggestions without being condescending.
Seconded. I do my best to research before I ask a question but I am certain I sound like a noob because I am. I don't keep gongys and I don't know how easy they are to sex but I have a hard time sexing almost any nymphs with certainty, until they're pretty big.

Just my two pennies. I very much appreciate everyones's awesome level of helpfulness.

I don't think he was talking about inexperienced people. That's natural and comes with the hobby, obviously. I think he meant people not doing the proper research before they go out and buy some exotic mantis. Of course people who own common species as well as exotic species are going to post questions or concerns that may or may not be easily answered by other members. The problem is with people who have no idea what they're doing yet insist on getting the "coolest" looking mantis without researching the proper care, whether it be a forum search or asking people who are successful with them.

I didn't get a anti-newbie vibe from the OP, just frustration with lack of effort for people looking to get some exotics. So in short, if you have questions, ask, that's what the forum is for. But don't rush to get the latest find from Peru when you can't even care for a chinese mantis.

I don't think he was talking about inexperienced people. That's natural and comes with the hobby, obviously. I think he meant people not doing the proper research before they go out and buy some exotic mantis. Of course people who own common species as well as exotic species are going to post questions or concerns that may or may not be easily answered by other members. The problem is with people who have no idea what they're doing yet insist on getting the "coolest" looking mantis without researching the proper care, whether it be a forum search or asking people who are successful with them.

I didn't get a anti-newbie vibe from the OP, just frustration with lack of effort for people looking to get some exotics. So in short, if you have questions, ask, that's what the forum is for. But don't rush to get the latest find from Peru when you can't even care for a chinese mantis.
Thank you this is what I am talking about. Mantiscurious and Chivalry you guys are great and you add a lot the forum. This was not directed at you. What does annoy me is "I just got this new idolo, it is my first mantis how do I take care of it?". That is what annoys. As MantidLord said if you can't take care of a chinese mantis don't buy an idolo. About the off topic tangent I get annoyed when people post for the sake of posting and don't think about if it adds to the forum or is just filler. BUMPing a thread is not the same. What I am talking about is like talking to hear your own voice.

Guilty as charged.

Normally, I don't talk a lot at school unless I'm really excited, so I guess that I talk here to make up for my lack of conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guilty as charged.

Normally, I don't talk a lot at school unless I'm really excited, so I guess that I talk here to make up for my lack of conversation.
Lol not you! Your great. I enjoy your posts. It is others that vex me.