Recent Breeding Pics et al

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job with the enclosure. I assume (or maybe didn't read) that you have a lighting system. With a good hygrometer/thermometer mantis raising is basically keeping those in range for whatever the species requires. I don't mean to be reductive but enclosure as a prerequisite and temp and humidity kept nominal, and feeding of course at a regular schedule, the rest falls into place...!

I know you all know that, I guess that's just how I look at keeping them alive. Keeping the numbers and feeding schedules correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you also just proved my idea of using hawk moths form horn worms as feeders for adults, thanks for that.
Hawk moths are great for Idolomantis since they take so much biomass to fill up. I don’t use these regularly, just in certain scenarios like when adult female Idolos are gravid.

Great job with the enclosure. I assume (or maybe didn't read) that you have a lighting system. With a good hygrometer/thermometer mantis raising is basically keeping those in range for whatever the species requires. I don't mean to be reductive but enclosure as a prerequisite and temp and humidity kept nominal, and feeding of course at a regular schedule, the rest falls into place...!

I know you all know that, I guess that's just how I look at keeping them alive. Keeping the numbers and feeding schedules correct.
Light intensity and wind/airflow are the two most neglected aspects of the microclimate in the hobby. The majority of species take advantage of both in nature, so they shouldn’t be ignored if you want success. 
Humidity is a bit overstated in most cases. It’s the hydration of the mantis that improves its ability to expand and slip out of the exhuvia/old skin. Humidity increases are usually at the expense of less airflow, which is problematic. 50-60% RH with daily misting is a recipe for success for all the species above. Very thin species are prone to desiccation at young instars, so daily misting with higher RH  for them is one exception to the rule

Light intensity and wind/airflow are the two most neglected aspects of the microclimate in the hobby. The majority of species take advantage of both in nature, so they shouldn’t be ignored if you want success. 
Humidity is a bit overstated in most cases. It’s the hydration of the mantis that improves its ability to expand and slip out of the exhuvia/old skin. Humidity increases are usually at the expense of less airflow, which is problematic. 50-60% RH with daily misting is a recipe for success for all the species above. Very thin species are prone to desiccation at young instars, so daily misting with higher RH  for them is one exception to the rule
What do you mean by light intensity. Can you elaborate?

What do you mean by light intensity. Can you elaborate?
In nature, the intensity of light is almost always higher than captivity. This is particularly the case with grassland species. The light cycling from bright to dark has hormonal and behavioral implications in many insects, mantises are likely no different.

In nature, the intensity of light is almost always higher than captivity. This is particularly the case with grassland species. The light cycling from bright to dark has hormonal and behavioral implications in many insects, mantises are likely no different.
So do you think putting them under LED lights and a more consistent night day schedule would be beneficial for them? I did so recently for temperature and aesthetic reasons.

Latest posts