Restless orchid mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyi

Reaction score
My male orchid mantis has been adult for about 1½ months and now he's started to act strangely. Before, he never showed any interest in escaping his enclosure. I frequently open the doors to spray moss and such and he never cared about that. Now he's started to act restlessly, moving around aimlessly and tonight he started to climb around the glass ceiling in circles. Earlier, when I opened the door, he seemed to want to get out.

Do male orchid mantids become restless when they're ready to mate? Is he trying to get out in order to find a female? And how much time does he have left to live if this is the case?

I should think that the chances are very slim. It took me several months just to get him and I don't even know who the breeder is since I got him through a pet store. Right now there are other difficulties involved as well, I will have to move in 1-2 months and then I might have to move around between apartments until we can find a new place suitable to live in for the next few years. So this is not exactly a good time for me to care for nymphs. I fear that he will have to live out his days in celibacy.

Hmmm.... poor little guy. I guess they don't make those kind of magazines for mantids. Well, Tony.... you know how sometimes the males grab hold of your finger and.... well, nevermind. That's totally off the wall, and I can't believe I even thought of it. Please pardon me sinking to these levels, I'm just all for satisfying mantids' basic needs.... :rolleyes: :lol:

Alone without a mate.
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]My male is about a month old or so well maybe 1 1/2 months, but he is'nt running around crazy like, he's cool. B)

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Oh my Becky "Ha ha ha :lol: " its about the brids in the tree's flower and the bee's and that thing called love. "Ha ha ha :lol: " hey Phili is'nt that the right song?.

Alone without a mate.
[SIZE=14pt]My male is about a month old or so  well maybe 1 1/2 months, but he is'nt running around crazy like, he's cool. [/SIZE]

Oh my Becky "Ha ha ha :lol: " its about the brids in the tree's and flower and the bee's and that thing called love. "Ha ha ha :lol: " hey Phili is'nt that the right song?.