Rhombodera Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelotbren

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am interested in the Rhombodera genus as my next species to try, but I have some questions.  There isn't a caresheet for them here on the forum.

1. Is there much difference between R. basalis, extensicollis and megaera?  I see those three mentioned the most in the hobby it seems.  Is one easier to find in the hobby than others?

2. At what instar can you sex them?  I would love to have at least one male and at least one female, but because they are a larger species, I don't want to get a bunch just to increase the chances of a male and a female.

3. I have heard that the male molts 8 times and the female molts 9 times...is that correct?

4. Do they need any special considerations for heat/humidity/ventilation?  I believe they prefer it a bit warmer and a bit more humid but have heard that they can do fine at room temperature with misting to keep humidity up.  Does anyone have experience with this?  My house is 68-70 F during the day but at the moment we have it set to drop down to as low as 62 overnight.  I raised my Chinese nymphs starting in January last year and they did fine despite the temperatures, but could the same be okay for Rhomboderas, or no?  Not sure if I should consider an additional heat source.

5. Is a terrarium an acceptable enclosure, such as Exo Terra?  Do they do okay in mesh popups too?

6. I was hoping to buy nymphs in January because we have some travel plans in November and December, but will shipping in winter be an issue?  I am in Michigan.  Again, I did this with my Chinese, but maybe a rain forest species is less likely to survive, even with a heat pack.  And perhaps this species isn't readily available enough that I will be able to choose when to buy.  Any insight into this?

I would appreciate help with any of the above questions if you have any knowledge or experience with Rhomboderas.  Thank you!

1. Is there much difference between R. basalis, extensicollis and megaera?  I see those three mentioned the most in the hobby it seems.  Is one easier to find in the hobby than others?
R. basalis has the biggest shield. R. megaera doesn't really have a wider shield, the species resembles H. membranacea a lot. I haven't kept R. extensicollis, but from pictures it seems the shield is a bit widened, albeit smaller than R. basalis.

Husbandry wise they are the same. They are sturdy mantids, just like Hierodula and Sphodromantis species. All three species should be pretty commonly available.

2. At what instar can you sex them?  I would love to have at least one male and at least one female, but because they are a larger species, I don't want to get a bunch just to increase the chances of a male and a female.
From L4 on the breeder should be able to easily tell.

3. I have heard that the male molts 8 times and the female molts 9 times...is that correct?
Correct.

4. Do they need any special considerations for heat/humidity/ventilation?
The care is identical to Hierodula membranacea. I'd use a small heat lamp to have like 72-76 degrees during the day.

5. Is a terrarium an acceptable enclosure, such as Exo Terra?  Do they do okay in mesh popups too?
Yes to both.

6. I was hoping to buy nymphs in January because we have some travel plans in November and December, but will shipping in winter be an issue?  I am in Michigan.  Again, I did this with my Chinese, but maybe a rain forest species is less likely to survive, even with a heat pack.  And perhaps this species isn't readily available enough that I will be able to choose when to buy.  Any insight into this?
Should be fine with proper packaging and heat pack, but it'd be best to directly ask the seller when the time comes. The three species should be commonly available all year long.

Hope this helps! Here's also a pic of my R. megaera pair.

20170629_225736.jpg

@Velve Thank you for the very helpful and informative reply!  Based on this I probably would choose R. basalis since the shield intrigues me.  I'll look into slightly upping the temperature too when the time comes.

That's a great picture by the way. :)

I wouldnt put them in mesh cage cause they require a bit more humidity.  And in my opinion basalis is the best cause of the shield and green/pink color also they are pretty friendly :)

Latest posts