Sarracenia Purpurea for sale

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazed_shaman

Reaction score
Up for grabs are 2 beautiful sarracenia purpurea plants and seeds.

plants are 20.00 ech. they will be flowering within the next year so by next year it will be producing thier own seeds. Very large beautiful deep purple pitchers scattered with red blotches and stripes blending with an almost neon green. This species needs a dormant period inorder to grow the following year. failure to dormant your plant will result in decrease in health and then DEATH. Just place plant outside in zones 7 and below but in warmer climates put plants in fridge for 4 to 8 weeks. Some say only allow this species to feel temps of 40 to 50 degrees during dormancey period but here in New York they face temps of -20 sometimes during the winter and they survive perfectly fine.

also

sarracenia purpurea seeds. 50 for 5.00.

SEEDS WILL NEED TO BE STRATIFIED! this means putting them in your fridge for 4 to 8 weeks. At 4 weeks germination rates will only be about 35 to 40% but around 8 weeks it will increase to about 80 85%. Seeds do require light for germination. they do not require scarification inorder to germinate. In order to stratify seeds mix a 1 to 1 ratio of peat moss or sphagnum moss and lime free sand or perlite in a small container( large enough to accomidate desired amount of seeds you wish to plant) and mix with luke warm rain, distilled, or reverse osmosis water.(can also use paper towels) place desired amount of seeds on top of the soil. make sure soil is moist not wet. DO NOT COVER SEEDS WITH SOIL. sarracenia pururea along with many other carnivorous plants need sunlight to germinate. place in fridge for 8 weeks preferable. I know of a couple people that keep them in fridge for up to 6 months and germinaion rates are 100 percent but 8 weeks is perfect. The longest ive tried is 3 months and still had about an 85% germination rate. periodically check seeds for mold build up. if mold does occur lightly spray substrate with a mineral free fungicide. Seeds should germinate within 4 weeks after taking out of fridge but stragglers will pop up sometimes after 6 months! if you used a paper towel please allow the paper towel to competly dry out before transplanting seeds into thier seedling pots or plant directly into thier slightly perminant home.

If you have anymore question feel free to pm me. Standard shipping rates apply. price will need to be calculated by weight of parcel.

sarracenia purpurea.bmp

Attachments

• sarracenia purpurea.bmp
    147.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Haze: I would like a packet of seeds. Are there any left. Ths species is just what I was looking for.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have plenty of seeds left. To babd a lot of people aren't looking into trying to grow this hardy but beutiful species of american pitcher plant

Sounds precarious at best,next spring I'll be in the position to have an outside garden,my sister piked me up a cube at Lowes,the flytrap died but the pitcer is greening,I have no idea what to do with it this winter