Saying Hi

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYmantis

Reaction score
Just joined. I have just started caring for bought mantids and needing some tips and help. Glad to be here!

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve had Chinese mantids in my yard for many years and decided to actually buy a mantid. I bought a golden mantis which became and adult this summer. I put her outside to live her best life. I now have a few Dead leaf mantids. Male and female.

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve had Chinese mantids in my yard for many years and decided to actually buy a mantid. I bought a golden mantis which became and adult this summer. I put her outside to live her best life. I now have a few Dead leaf mantids. Male and female.
which dead leaf species?

Oh….um Lobatta. The male is pretty active. The female has been oddly lethargic lately. Not ready for molting. Unlike her. A little clumsy too. U sure what’s what. I was told this species is pretty low key so I’m trying to wait it out.

Oh….um Lobatta. The male is pretty active. The female has been oddly lethargic lately. Not ready for molting. Unlike her. A little clumsy too. U sure what’s what. I was told this species is pretty low key so I’m trying to wait it out.
Deroplatys lobata. be sure to spell correctly, italicize, and don't capitalize the species epithet
what instars are they? Are they adults? I've lost a few subadult females of this species. They just dropped dead one day, no warning
I am not sure what the rest of that message means. Female lethargic, not ready to molt, unlike her? Who is the other her? Am I sure what's what? What do you mean low-key?
I'm gonna need a bit more info here

Corrections appreciated. I have one male and one female. Im guessing instar refers to how many molts they’ve had? I got the female as a 2nd instar and is now at 4. For the last few weeks the female has been lethargic and wobbly. I thought she might be ready to molt again but it’s not the case. Unsure what it is. Any idea why yours died?

Corrections appreciated. I have one male and one female. Im guessing instar refers to how many molts they’ve had? I got the female as a 2nd instar and is now at 4. For the last few weeks the female has been lethargic and wobbly. I thought she might be ready to molt again but it’s not the case. Unsure what it is. Any idea why yours died?
instar is the period between molts
i'm not sure what you mean by "wobbly"

no idea why mine died