Setting up enclosure for Heterochaeta Orientalis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celayna

Reaction score
Hi!

We are looking for a taller enclosure for these guys. Read they prefer that and can live communally if fed well and large area with hidie spaces. I believe we need a light also, looking at an exo terra tall terrium but my daughter reallly really wants to put light colored sand in, "so she can see them better sometimes"

Most of the sand I find says it has calcium in it for reptiles. I'm assuming that will be dusty and not the best idea. Any suggestions for sand, just for looks of the enclosure as I understand they don't actually 'require' substrate - it still looks nice! Thank you in advance for replies.

I want to get this setup fast before they get here! ♡

Cel - Overprotective (& possibly addicted) Hive Mother

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T USE SAND!!!!!! A mantis cannot grip sand, so a fall could be fatal or disastrous. In terms of an enclosure, an exo terra or even a large net cage will work.

- MantisGirl13

I dont use substrate, to hard to clean and feeders hide in it. If mantis is small, you need to adjust the size

of housing till it grows. I like my xlarge container, but you have to use low heat glue gun to attach leaves

and flowers for it to walk around on, or  my 12x12x12 net cage is a good size for adults. Really depends on

size you are getting, you want something to hold humidity while molting is most important, for adults this

is not applicable.

MantisGirl13 - We were going to mix it with the coconut fiber substrate. Sometimes I'm not sure how these adorable little aliens survive at all outside! :p they're from Africa so we were trying to do environments similar to the place of origin?

Was thinking those guys/girls would enjoy sand/coconut fiber mix, on bottom only. Not gonna glue sand to walls or ceiling so I don't think the falling thing will be an issue.

Just having a hard time finding a low dust, coarser sand to mix.

I like the substrate because I don't like looking at their poo on the bottom of enclosure. 😆

We use deli cups for babies and are working on larger setup for adults. The locally caught adults we had did like their diamond shaped net but again, mama don't wanna stare at poo.

We have a "'hunting/feeding' enclosure. Our ghosts start twerking like crazy when it's time to go hunting! lol

Keeps legs, wings and other discarded parts out of their homes and they get a chance to run around dancing like maniacs in a new environment and hunt down their prey.

Sorry long post, kind of lost track up my original intentions here! 👽

Last edited by a moderator:
Why use sand at all if you're going to use coco fiber? You really don't have to put much thought into a mantis enclosure, just meet the requirements. 

- MantisGirl13 

My daughter wants to put a tiny human skull in there too and fake succulents - not the pokey ones. She's into art so I guess our mantis homes have to be artistic also lol 🙃

Never argue with a 10 yr old going on 30 👽

You can get some play sand (type sold for children's sandboxes) It is cheap, clean, and can be found easily at places like Home Depot/Lowes/ect

At times I tend to come up with extremely complex solutions for such simple situations lol

Doh... play sand... Thank you! ♡

We are working on the skulls right now. My daughter says if anyone has any requests for your buggy friends homes to let her know. She uses polymer clay that needs to be baked, basically plastic.

We will not make anything used for food/water and you shouldn't put in with any pets/specimens that gnaw/chew on their caves/climbers/toys.

"If you give a child led homeschooler a cookie..." lol

One week you are watching them trying to play a violin the next they're writing a book about dragons and fae. Turn your head for 5 minutes and they've decided they want to be a marine biologist! A few days later they're going crazy for bugs!

I try to tell her that she's going to fill her plate so full that she's going to end up starving but here we are.

Now making custom bug/reptile furniture 🙃

Cel - Overprotective Hive Mother 👽

At times I tend to come up with extremely complex solutions for such simple situations lol

Doh... play sand... Thank you! ♡
Hahaha, no problem. A lot of people like play sand for usage with animals because it is safe and clean yet not overpriced like most stuff in pet specialty shops.

Mantises are very forgiving with what you can place in their cages. They don't chew/eat off of stuff so something like polymer sculptures will be perfectly safe once properly cured. As someone that works with the material, I suggest checking out this site for some great information on good clay brands and how to properly bake the clay. Really the brand+proper bake times/methods can make a huge difference on a piece that is brittle and easily breaks versus something nice a durable. https://thebluebottletree.com/bake-polymer-clay-how-tips-tricks/

The instructions found on a lot of the packages for the stuff really isn't the best to go by. Doing simple things like properly covering your pieces will also help prevent discoloration, not to mention keep your house from filling with the scent as it bakes. I've just seen a lot of people get put off by the stuff when first starting out because they just go off of the packaging when trying to bake and end up with a piece that breaks shortly afterward.

Thankies! We've been working with polymer for awhile now but always appreciate more info! ♡ 👽

Latest posts