Shipping mantids in hot weather

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to give a happy new home to most of my Iris oratorias tomorrow. I have followed Yen's thread and almost have all the supplies to be able to ship tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience shipping in crazy heat?

I am sending them overnight because the weather here is over 105 degrees always. So are there any other steps I need to take?

Will their containers loose air faster? I'm afraid they will suffocate, dehydrate, or have problems with pressure.

Should I give them extra water before they go?

Are they going on an airplane; should I put extra holes in the containers and box to equalize the pressure?

Will they be cold on the airplane?

Is there a difference between overnight and express?

Sorry. I am a very overprotective worried mom, sending my babies away because I have too many to care for them. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Overnight and express are the same. Priority mail is the one that takes longer and is not guaranteed.

I would have the package held at the post office for customer pick up if the weather is so hot. I believe most of the time overheating occurs on the day of delivery, in the back of the overheated delivery truck that occasionally has to drive in the hot sun for 8 hours, although it's a little better with express since they get delivered in the morning. At the post office they would be held for pick up at room temperature which I find ideal.

The other dangerous thing is customers forgetting about the package or not checking tracking frequently enough. Packages left on sunny doorsteps or metal mailboxes will very quickly overheat. Signature confirmation helps with that, or pick up at the post office again.

I personally do not spray deli cups before shipping. If mantises are well-hydrated while living at your place they are fine with drier conditions for even a couple weeks. Left over water + heat + low ventilation makes for a very uncomfortable situation I'd imagine.

Most shipping containers are not airproof, I rarely put extra holes in shipping containers. A nymph is fine in a deli cup for weeks without supplemental air. As far as I know, all express mail goes by airplanes and I rarely ever lose mantises. Two of my packages were delayed for a whole week and the nymphs came in healthy although a bit hungry.

Main thing to make sure is to add good insulation. That way if there is a temperature spike it will delay it and make the process gradual.

If you are shipping anything larger than small nymphs I would add some cushioning in the containers. Being tossed and jossled around seems to cause problems with larger nymphs (and especially adults) for me.

It can be done but unfortunately I've dealt with many that have no idea how to do it properly. Do not enclose them in many layers where no air can reach them. I've seen that time and time again.