Some carnivorous plants in the wild

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Took these while in the Green Swamp Preserve in Brunswick County, NC. 

Venus Flytrap ( Dionaea muscipula)

Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia spp)

Yellow Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia flava)

Butterwort (Pinguicula lutea) and Sundews

Sundew  (Drosera capillaris)

Amazing to see them in the wild, thanks for sharing. :)

I imagine it was a great trip too. Did you go primarily to see the plants?

Amazing to see them in the wild, thanks for sharing. :)

I imagine it was a great trip too. Did you go primarily to see the plants?

No, went as part of a fossil collecting trip to a local quarry which ended up being cancelled. My friend used to work in the green swamp so we went and checked out the long leaf pine savannas which are one of my favorite places to explore. 

No, went as part of a fossil collecting trip to a local quarry which ended up being cancelled. My friend used to work in the green swamp so we went and checked out the long leaf pine savannas which are one of my favorite places to explore. 
Nice, that you turned the day around anyway. You have me curious though, are you hoping to find any of the more common fossils still or just a shot at the once-in-a-lifetime finds?

I still get a kick out of blastoids and other common finds, but I'm still hoping to find the less common shark teeth that are known in my area (that is more or less intact would be even better). :)

Nice, that you turned the day around anyway. You have me curious though, are you hoping to find any of the more common fossils still or just a shot at the once-in-a-lifetime finds?

I still get a kick out of blastoids and other common finds, but I'm still hoping to find the less common shark teeth that are known in my area (that is more or less intact would be even better). :)
I like to find anything really but at this point I don't keep anything broken and/or worn unless it is a rare or unusual specimen. I did find a theropod dinosaur tooth this past summer which is quite rare from the US east coast. 

I think shark fossils in IN would be of the super rare types such as coal sharks. 

I like to find anything really but at this point I don't keep anything broken and/or worn unless it is a rare or unusual specimen. I did find a theropod dinosaur tooth this past summer which is quite rare from the US east coast. 

I think shark fossils in IN would be of the super rare types such as coal sharks. 
Ah so you've been at it quite awhile. Truly a great find, congratulations. :D

Very well could be Edestus, most of the tales I've heard and read tend to be unlisted shark species and are rather rare (but enough to keep me hopeful). Further south of me, nearer Kentucky, tends to offer more finds around the Ohio River. Around here I tend to spend most of my fossil time in rock cutouts from highways, much like shown here. Thankfully our main highway SR 37 (2 miles from my house) is full of such areas in either direction and keeps me interested.

Ah so you've been at it quite awhile. Truly a great find, congratulations. :D

Very well could be Edestus, most of the tales I've heard and read tend to be unlisted shark species and are rather rare (but enough to keep me hopeful). Further south of me, nearer Kentucky, tends to offer more finds around the Ohio River. Around here I tend to spend most of my fossil time in rock cutouts from highways, much like shown here. Thankfully our main highway SR 37 (2 miles from my house) is full of such areas in either direction and keeps me interested.
Yes, don't think there is much in the way of such fossils in that part of the county. Kansas is known for Cretaceous fossils including sharks. 

Latest posts