still weird looking

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenoaks

Reaction score
can someone tell me what i should do about this poor guy? he hasnt eatten in days. the wings do not sit flat on his abdomen and they are constantly open like he is flying.

IMG_0090.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
there is not much that can be done other then try to feed him and if he refuses to eat then it may be time to put the mantis down by putting him in the fridge or by water burial!

Your he, is actually a she! And it looks fine besides the messed up wings. Give it some more time and it will begin to eat again. If the wings are getting in it's way? Then you could trim them in down with a scissor in a few days.

Your he, is actually a she! And it looks fine besides the messed up wings. Give it some more time and it will begin to eat again. If the wings are getting in it's way? Then you could trim them in down with a scissor in a few days.
oh wow.. thanks! do you think i will be able to release it into the wild as i will do the other two nymphs soon? i was caring for them only until the weather got nice. im not really a bug person as you can tell. will this hinder it from having a normal life? (mate, fly etc?)do you think it is in distress?

p.s. how did you know the sex from this picture(you cant see the abdomen)

I would keep her. She might stick out more with her messed up wings. I'm sure you don't want her to be easy pickings for some bird.

You can see the end of the abdomen and it is clearly female. The wings will not harm it. Females don't fly. She should eat though.

i think i should keep her also, i really didt want to as i have three high maintanence pets to care for.i know she wont be like that, but i feel i cant give her enough time. i dont think i have a good enough enclosure for her either. she cant climb on the walls of the kritter keeper and she falls alot. (ouch)is it ok to give her only crickets her whole life?

what is the ideal enclosure? with what items inside?

yea, she can have crickets, maybe sometimes u will catch a nice spider or moth for her to eat, I keep my crippled ones on plants, not in containers and they stay where I put them for most part.

yea, she can have crickets, maybe sometimes u will catch a nice spider or moth for her to eat, I keep my crippled ones on plants, not in containers and they stay where I put them for most part.
oh , you have crippled ones! good to know that this isnt just from what i did wrong (or otherwise). i am always afraid to give her spiders incase they are poisenous. thanks for making me feel better.

not all spiders are poisonous and small spiders are no threat to a mantis if its bigger then l1-l2 as I use to feed some of mine jumping spiders I found around my house with no problems!