Tea Tree the Praying Mantis.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTree

Reaction score
Hi, I was gifted a mantis from a friend, not as a baby though, friend was not sure how many molts its been through.

Since ive had it ive seen it molt once (what a beautiful thing to watch). I noticed that wings started to develop, so I assume it was the last one.

Watching videos/reading about the wings I noticed that they fully develop and grow across the whole back straight away in a day or 2.

25th of May was Tea Trees last molt, but his wings till today barely cover a few centimeters of his back (hes like 5-6 inches) They are growing, just incredibly slow.

Is that normal? Ive read that with some species its the females who sometimes develop wings that barely cover half the body,
but ive also read that males have 6-7 segments on their abdomens, which is what Tea Tree has.

So whats going on any ideas?

Hes a Giant Asian Mantis. First but definitely not the last time I keep and care for praying mantises :) cheers.

Would you send us a picture of him? We could properly sex if him you send a clear picture of the abdomen's segments, of his back, and maybe front view (males often have longer antenna).

That mantis is a sub-adult. Her wings are actually still developing and what you see are the wing buds. I think that is a female since the abdomen is not a skinny shape.

Tonight it went through the last molt, it’s huge, the wings slowly unfolded within the hour and now cover the whole back, does that mean it’s a male? Either way it was so cool to see how they unfolded.
F98E6876-3BC7-49EA-A374-992D24DE1B41.jpeg

Attachments

• DA65681C-148B-4323-8340-BC86E716CA1D.jpeg
    DA65681C-148B-4323-8340-BC86E716CA1D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 44AFDD00-B604-4096-B214-9EE9E7C2C8AE.jpeg
    44AFDD00-B604-4096-B214-9EE9E7C2C8AE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Tea Tree probably is male. I'm personally terrible at sexing mantises. If the mantis can fly, even after eating, then you definitely have a male.

Latest posts