Tenodera sinensis (?) hatching in winter? December 27th 2015

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
Tenodera L1 or L2 nymph I saw today at forest edge near or in short grass. This is around mid winter, December 27th. Wake Forest, NC. Anybody else know about things like this happening? Does anybody think this will wipe out T. sinensis here? (I lost the nymph from wind blowing out of my and into grass).

Thank you in advance to info.

I've found two ooths this month that have hatched.

Crazy! Winter has hit Maine. I can hear the cold in the wind. It was 20 this morning and I almost couldnt get my car door open because of the ice!

Have you had mantises during winter time in your area before this?
Not that I can recall. I think they just hatched outside their normal time due to all the warm weather. I believe they will perish at first hard freeze. I did find a few Brunner's mantids not long ago but they were just late surviving adults from this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The string El Niño has caused above average, or even record high temps across the eastern states. Here, it was 72 degrees on Christmas Eve, and many living things are confused! Cherry blossoms, roses, azaleas, and irises are blooming, thinking it's spring. I can imagine the mantises believed it is spring as well. It's sad though, when real winter weather arrives, I doubt the mantises that have already hatched can survive.

Yes. The Stagmomantis carolina though may have not hatched out yet in this warm weather, and so those guys might be alive to hatch in spring or summer. Tenodera sinensis hatch early compared to T. angustipennis and Stagmomantis carolina I read. I wonder if T. sinensis oothecae laid later in the year will not hatch during this winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. The Stagmomantis carolina though may have not hatched out yet in this warm weather, and so those guys might be alive to hatch in spring or summer. Tenodera sinensis hatch early compared to T. angustipennis and Stagmomantis carolina I read. I wonder if T. sinensis oothecae laid later in the year will not hatch during this winter.
I was out walking around earlier in December and found a freshly hatched T. sinensis ooth with many nymphs still hanging around. A couple weeks ago I found a single nymph in my back yard floating in some water. Turns out one of the ooths I was saving for somebody hatched. I also have a bunch of T. angustipennis ooths sitting out but none of those have hatched.

Latest posts