The other addiction.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAME

Tenodera sinensis (the one and only)
Reaction score
Greetings community!

Just wanted to show off my newest additions to the crew. Not mantis related, but awesome nonetheless! A buddy at work had long talked about getting a bearded dragon in exchange for introducing him to the mantis hobby. A year down the road I finally received a phone call and a knock at my door. :D

My very first reptile and beardie, Valkyrie.

20160329_195943_zpsfucjapgd.jpg
I've had her about two months now...  then decided she seems awfully lonelylike in her home, so we got another friend just 3days back.

20160422_105508_zpsvk4goomr.jpg
I haven't decided on a name for this little lady yet, but I'm sure one will come.

Since introducing the new comer, they've basically been glued to the hip.

20160422_104231_zpst3bg6zbb.jpg
Here's one of my favorite photos of them both together.

20160420_123221_zpso7n4amcn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see your little beardies. :D Definitely a good way to cull your excess Dubia roaches too.

Have you gotten them tamed yet? I ask as most love to get petted, or rubbed "on their chins" too. My brother-in-law kept them and most were really friendly. :) If you haven't had much luck yet, look at this article.

I've been working with them for a few minutes each day just to get them used to being handled and such. Valkyrie is a handful when she wants to be, but the newcomer is surprisingly tame already and she's younger. Both of them like a head and chin rub though ;)  

I've been reading a lot on them over the passed couple of months, so I'll definitely take a look at the link. :D

I've watched YouTube videos on them as well, they apparently go nuts over dandelions and they're extremely healthy for them.  ^_^  

Have they puffed up their beards or hissed at you yet? I ask as that can be common, and so can them flicking their tail like a cat when upset. ;) Sounds like your little girl was taken care of by another keeper, or still young enough that she is fearless and will tame easy (much like mantids as nymphs).

Glad to see they both have gotten attached to you enough for petting and rubs. In time if they allow you to pick them up they love to lay on a forearm, getting petted and warmed up from a persons body-heat at the same time. :D

Crazy to hear about dandelions, I wouldn't have guessed that. It has been awhile since he kept them though (in the 90's), so I imagine many things have changed with the internet connecting hobbyist (much like our community). ;) I did find this video on youtube, is this the one you saw too?

Valkyrie under went another shedding, here's a few photos. (Before,during,after...)

She definitely had some vivid colors afterwards. :D

I'm curious do you plan on getting a male and breeding them? I've seen a few youtube videos of the tiny babies hatching, it's amazing. :)

She definitely had some vivid colors afterwards. :D

I'm curious do you plan on getting a male and breeding them? I've seen a few youtube videos of the tiny babies hatching, it's amazing. :)
I've really considered it, my buddy at work has a pair of young boys that are around the same ages.... but I'm not sure yet. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I really do love Valkyrie's colors though.. it'd be neat to find one with similar colors and see the outcome.

Beardies are great animals and yeah, they do love the dandelions.  Not only the flowers but the greens as well.  Actually the greens are probably better for them.

If you are keeping them together just make sure they both continue to grow and if you notice one growing faster you may want to separate them until they reach adulthood.  I've seen it many times, people get 2 beardies the same size and one starts growing faster pretty soon it decides to take a bite out of the other.  No one ever sees any aggression between the two and both eat like crazy.  In fact the smaller one may even seem like a more agressive eater.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just that there is rarely any aggression so people assume they are fine even though one is noticeably larger.  Just watch them closely for the size discrepancy.

Beardies are great animals and yeah, they do love the dandelions.  Not only the flowers but the greens as well.  Actually the greens are probably better for them.

If you are keeping them together just make sure they both continue to grow and if you notice one growing faster you may want to separate them until they reach adulthood.  I've seen it many times, people get 2 beardies the same size and one starts growing faster pretty soon it decides to take a bite out of the other.  No one ever sees any aggression between the two and both eat like crazy.  In fact the smaller one may even seem like a more agressive eater.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just that there is rarely any aggression so people assume they are fine even though one is noticeably larger.  Just watch them closely for the size discrepancy.
Definitely will keep that in mind,  though I've had Valkyrie for at least two months before getting the other. She's a bit bigger than the newer girl, but not by too much. When it comes to feeding I'm usually right there with them making sure nothing bad happens, just in case.

They both usually intake about the same foodwise though.  So far I've had no fighting over food or anything... so that's good. Think I'll start adding in more of the green parts of the dandelions since you mentioned it.

Also, I do have plenty of spare tanks laying around right now... if need be,  a rehoming wouldn't be difficult at all.

Rehomed the girls to a bigger home, also swapped out the outback Orange sand with a blue..

Then I started reading about the hammocks and how much the beardies love them. So I decided against buying one...

and just made my own. :)  
20160711_022015_zpslqk4guxu.jpg
I made the hammock out of an older tie dye shirt I made (and didn't wear...) 3 suction cups and some rubber coated Christmas ornament wire. 

Within 4 minutes of putting the hammock in the cage little one decided to try it out. Soon after...;
20160711_022904_zpse1mxwxaf.jpg

They are super cute! I held my first bearded dragon at a friend's house the other night. They are so amazingly laid back, it is unreal!

Now I want some beardies....... love your picture of the little one sleeping in the hammock, precious.
They're incredibly awesome. ;)  I vote "yay" on you getting one! ;)  

They are super cute! I held my first bearded dragon at a friend's house the other night. They are so amazingly laid back, it is unreal!
Awe, they're big ol' softies. ^_^   I must say they are a really neat pet to have... I mean, they eat ALOT... but totally worth it. :)  

Latest posts