Thesprotia graminis adult female

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minard734

Reaction score
63mm female found in Winterhaven, FL.

DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

it strikes me how short the tibiae/tarsi are in this species. She might be 63mm, but doesn't look like she'll be grabbing anything larger than a housefly or mid-sized BB :)

EDIT: Ah ok, i guess its common name 'grass mantis' explains it. Probably just interested in gnats, leafhoppers and other small soft-bodied insects

Last edited by a moderator:
it strikes me how short the tibiae/tarsi are in this species. She might be 63mm, but doesn't look like she'll be grabbing anything larger than a housefly or mid-sized BB :)
I remeasured her and she is actually only 62.5mm. And it is funny but she can eat large moths and stuff. Lacewings work well also.

EDIT: Ah ok, i guess its common name 'grass mantis' explains it. Probably just interested in gnats, leafhoppers and other small soft-bodied insects

Last edited by a moderator:
I remeasured her and she is actually only 62.5mm. And it is funny but she can eat large moths and stuff. Lacewings work well also.
Wow i honestly can't imagine that. The muscles in the rest of her forearms must be really strong!

Wow i honestly can't imagine that. The muscles in the rest of her forearms must be really strong!
It shocks me. It doesn't seem possible but she's a strong one. The insects should be soft bodied though due to her bad grip lol.

Latest posts