Trichoplusia ni! A good feeder moth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey folks

so recently I began rearing Trichoplusia ni, a generalist noctuid moth that is a great feeder. Approximately twice the size of a waxworm moth, these hardy moths are happily accepted by a number of mantis species

Here are adults in a breeding cup. There is a nectar dish at the bottom and a coffee filter at the top for oviposition. I put 10 in each cup

20220120_163038.jpg

Freshly Eclosed Adults
20220120_161031.jpg

Larval setup

20220120_160406.jpg

hatchlings

20211229_135259(1).jpg

mature larvae

20211231_131409.jpg

the eggs hatch in 3-4 days, the larvae develop for approximately 3 weeks, and they spend about 10 days as pupae

I rear them on artificial diet. I will update folks on the best AD for them but so far it looks like this stuff:

https://www.educationalscience.com/the-manduca-sexta-hornworm-microwave-cookie-dough-artificial-diet-50g-adt204

I make it a little runnier than the recipe calls for

Also i am going to experiment with this stuff

https://www.insectrearing.com/product/general-purpose-lepidoptera/

I have plenty of pupae for sale too

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the impression that Painted Lady medium is essentially cookie dough of some kind.  I don’t know how they would be as feeders.

timetopupationbydiet.jpeg
survivalbydiet.jpeg
pupalwtbydiet.jpeg

Please note that the low survival rate in the “hornworm instant agar” group means that the pupal weight and time to pupation categories are skewed. One-way ANOVAs run on the effect of diet on average pupal weight, percent survival, and time to pupation showed significant effects, with p-values of 2.77e-4, 2.11e-13, and 3.82e-13, respectively. There was no correlation between the cost of the diet and any of these metrics, with linear regression models for the three measures giving fixed r-squared values of 0.0469, 0.3299, and 0.2995, respectively. Larvae reared on the hornworm instant diet pupated on average 3 days sooner than those reared on the pinto bean diet, were on average 0.01g lighter at pupation, and had nearly twice the survival rate. Given the fact that this is a prolific species and that the hornworm instant cookie dough diet is nearly 8 times the cost of the pinto bean diet, more comparison is needed. I will now compare this diet to the frontier agricultural services general Lepidoptera diet.