Understanding mantis diseases/infections, their causes, and maybe how to treat them?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wolven

bug-cats or cat-bugs? That is the real question.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've seen several different ways a mantis can get sick on this forum and the effects of it. An experienced mantis keeper can recognize the signs of an infection/sickness but I haven't seen anyone actually look into bacteria strains. Now I know it's incredibly unlikely that anyone here has the equipment to even to begin to look into this sort of thing (or the degree for it). However, imagine if we did actually start identifying the bacteria (or virus?? I don't know if bugs can get those). It feels like there's very little knowledge on what actual bacteria we're dealing with when it comes to sick mantises.

Is it possible for people in this hobby to have a more in depth understanding of bacteria that can infect a mantis, their causes, and how to treat it. More than just looking at symptoms and hoping honey will take care of it? Of course mantises and other insects (or arachnids) are pretty fragile creatures and finding something that actually treats an infection/sickness without harming the mantis may not be possible. All of this is just an idea mainly. I want to start gathering scientific information on the common bacteria strains that a mantis can get infected with and what can cause them (someone with experience would know what to avoid with mantises but it doesn't hurt to include the information).

well I have the ability to make plates and at least identify bacteria to the genus level
there are media that make certain species look a certain way, or that only allow certain species to grow
and if you make gram stains and such you may be able to get to the genus level

I'd be more concerned about protist parasites and things like that. I do have some info on illnesses tho:

the common house cricket, Acheta domesticus is to blame for sickness transfer from prey to mantis. There’s a virus and several bacteria/protist species that infect this cricket species and can infect mantises (Szelei et al. 2011, de Miranda et al. 2021). However, the banded cricket, Gryllodes sigillatus, does not have the same issues

de Miranda, J. R., F. Granberg, P. Onorati, A. Jansson, and Å. Berggren. 2021. Virus prospecting in crickets—discovery and ctrain divergence of a novel iflavirus in wild and cultivated Acheta domesticus. Viruses 13:364.
Szelei, J., J. Woodring, M. Goettel, G. Duke, F.-X. Jousset, K. Liu, Z. Zadori, Y. Li, E. Styer, and D. Boucias. 2011. Susceptibility of North-American and European crickets to Acheta domesticus densovirus (AdDNV) and associated epizootics. Journal of invertebrate pathology 106:394-399.

Don't feed your mantids crickets. I lost mantids to that and it is sad how they got sick from it. use grasshoppers or dubia roaches instead.

Don't feed your mantids crickets. I lost mantids to that and it is sad how they got sick from it. use grasshoppers or dubia roaches instead.
Aye I do understand that. Personally I’m hesitant on using crickets. A person should only use them if they know what species the cricket is and use the correct size. It’s best not to use grasshoppers though if they’re large. They can damage your mantis since their legs are very powerful.