Upcoming moult (?) & maintaining humidity in a mesh viv

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzxmUyZNKEBoqN3e

Reaction score
My oldest G. gongylodes, Asgore, has been his current instar for 1 month and 3 days now and I think he is approaching his final moult. He hadn't eaten in about 6 days prior to this photo because I got sent a bad batch of green bottles - thankfully my new ones hatched today and he ate 2 (catching and then releasing another - I assume he is probably full), however this doesn't affect his abdomen size much. I mention this because his abdomen was not as deflated as I would have expected. His wing buds do also seem enlarged but I've never seen enlarged wing buds before and I could well be wishing this into existence. 

As the forum gremlins like to eat my pictures, here is a link to the Imgur album just in case.

HXWzK8C.jpg

1YGiMOQ.jpg
1pkEApf.jpg

I'm assuming there is some period of time between the start of wing bud inflation and when they get fully inflated pre-moult; does anyone know how long this is?

With regards to the second part of the title, I'm a bit stuck on how to increase humidity in his mesh enclosure. It's about 30% - 35% which is fine for normal use but I imagine is a little on the low side for a moult. They sit under a heat lamp which quickly evaporates any misting - I was thinking of filling a small deli pot with water, covering it with mesh (to prevent him drowning) and then leaving it to sit in the bottom of their enclosure. Would this work?

Thank you!

that sure is a nice looking subadult!  I hope to keep this species one day soon.

I'm afraid I don't have the experience to answer your wing bud questions, but-- For the humidity,

Would it be possible for you to control the humidity in the room with a small humidifier?  I use an ultrasonic humidifier with RO water to keep levels where I want for growing mushrooms.  If you need precise control, inkbird makes a great controller.

Keeping the humidity proper in a single room can be done with a $20-$30 cool mist (ultrasonic) humidifier.  I presume you already have a hygrometer since you are aware of the current level.

great pics, and good luck with the final molt!  

that sure is a nice looking subadult!  I hope to keep this species one day soon.

I'm afraid I don't have the experience to answer your wing bud questions, but-- For the humidity,

Would it be possible for you to control the humidity in the room with a small humidifier?  I use an ultrasonic humidifier with RO water to keep levels where I want for growing mushrooms.  If you need precise control, inkbird makes a great controller.

Keeping the humidity proper in a single room can be done with a $20-$30 cool mist (ultrasonic) humidifier.  I presume you already have a hygrometer since you are aware of the current level.

great pics, and good luck with the final molt!  
Thank you very much! 😄 They're a really cool species - my two are quite dopey, I'm not sure if that's a species trait but they are quite awesome to keep, I'm so glad I got a male because they look amazing as adults!

The humidifier is a good idea that I hadn't thought of; thank you! My only issue is that the room humidity is pretty okay but under the heat lamp it drops massively, but if I have a humidifier nearby that should sort it. Thanks again!

He is definitely going to molt soon! He should be fine in the net without any precautions. Its not about the humidity for a molt so much as how hydrated the mantis is.

- MantisGirl13

He is definitely going to molt soon! He should be fine in the net without any precautions. Its not about the humidity for a molt so much as how hydrated the mantis is.

- MantisGirl13
Excellent news 😄😄 I'm so excited! But also sad because it means he is reaching the end of his life...

Latest posts