USDA Review

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinsWither

Reaction score
Looks like from one of our sister forums is that they might change the permitting system. 

https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=APHIS-2008-0076 

And please, make relevant and logical comments. Also, if enough people say stuff like that, then there is going to be change as they might be able to get some of us, but they can't get several hundred thousand people. People have already commented, one of them being for butterflies (tropical) and several allegedly being for snails.  

It is mainly snails and soil related, but add some ones about insects. The more the merrier. You can also be anonymous too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Some states require permits to obtain or distribute mantis. I believe my state of florida is a big one, requiring about 50 dollars worth of paper work. They want to make sure they know some times who has what breeds incase of an outbreak in the ecosystem (from escapes or when people let pets go).

There's definitely many grey areas within the laws and I advise people to lay kind of low with what they import and export until you do your research. I am working on finding out exactly how the laws work myself.

ddaa.jpg

I will say this one thing... typically the unsafe states for this kind of hobby (unless you are rich) is Florida, Hawaii, and any state with a tropical climate for sure and probably any state with a large dependence in agriculture. Continue pressing for advocating for the exotic insect and pet trade (at reason). It's a federal representative democracy after all. 

We looked at my state you only need a licence to import or breed. For wi.
So in Wi. you need a lic to breed native mantis or is that breeding imported?  Imported across state lines or from outside the country?  Interesting. Pass enough laws and we are all criminals any time they want to make us so.

Latest posts