V Flytrap doesn't stay closed to digest the flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetterdew

Reaction score
Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question, but my plant doesn't seem to realize that it's caught some flies, and it opens up its mouths the day after I put them in.  It closes perfectly well, but reopens the next day.  Is something wrong?  My last flytrap did the same thing, and I never found out why.  Luckily, my other one seems to be digesting the flies.

If you are feeding dead flies they won't stimulate the hairs inside the trap after it closes. If they don't "feel" an insect struggling it will open back up the next day. 

It's not clear if you're feeding live or dead flies, but if feeding dead insects, Aquaticcreature has it right. 

However, you can "massage" the trap after it's closed to stimulate the trigger hairs and cause the trap to start to digest.  A simple search for videos will get you exact instructions. 

Good Luck!  :D

If the fly is to big and if its dead this happens. Feed something only a quarter of the size of the trap, and as said above they need the hairs to be triggered. Gently pinching the trap shut frequently for about 50 times will make it close completely to the point where it thinks it has killed an insect and can start digesting it. It will open after 2 days or so and it will still have the bug in its mouth, however it will only be the shell of it. All the liquids from it will be absorbed into the plant. :)

What Mantisking03 said there!  ICPS has a nice write up for feeding freeze dried blood worms
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/feed/bloodworms