Venus Fly Trap Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatmantid98

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently got a venus fly trap kit from Jo-Ann's because I had a coupon and thought it would be cool. Here's the kit I bought.

It came as seeds and I just planted it a couple of weeks ago. I have also been misting it daily. I keep it indoors on a ledge behind my kitchen sink directly across from a window. My question is, is the plant going to be ok in the plastic container it came with or should I get something else. Also, do I have to worry about the dormancy when its indoors? Last, has anyone bought this before and had good luck with it?

Thanks, I never had a fly trap before but I always wanted one.

fly trap.jpg

The problem with those kits is that they often have old seeds that don't germinate. Even if the seeds are fresh, the seedlings grow very slowly (it takes a year for it to grow an inch wide) and are rather hard to maintain. Here's an article with everything you need to know. http://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-venus-flytraps-from-seeds.html That website will also answer any dormancy and container questions.

Ok thanks Crazy4Mantis. I did not know they used old seeds that sucks. I guess I'll have to wait a year then to see if it at least grows. <_<

If you're starting from seed I would recommend skip dormancy the first year to allow plants to establish themselves,than follow dormancy procedures the next fall/winter.As said before the seeds in those kits are usually old and no longer viable.I haven't had great success even with fresh seeds I've purchased most of my flytraps and pitcher plants due to the seeds being difficult to germinate.

Matt runs Flytrapstore and as he is a Dionaea guy, he has lots of different cultivars of D. muscipula and a few other genera of carnivorous plants for sale. Also, if you become a member on his forum, Flytrapcare, (I've been a member for 4 years now) there is a sales section... and where better to get plants from than from the hobbyists themselves? ...Like on here? ;)

Here's a thread on the forum that lists online suppliers:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/the-list-of-online-carnivorous-plant-suppliers-t8732.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Flytrapstore.com

Cobraplant.com

Those are the most reliable. I've never bought from flytrapstore but I've never heard anything bad about them and their flytraps are incredible. I've bought from conraplant many times and they are very good.

In reply to hibiscusmile . . .

Check out FlyTrapShop.com

Also CaliforniaCarnivores.com is very famous (they literally wrote the book! (Savage Garden))

And terraforums.com is a great resource! I am a member over there.

And if anyone is interested, I offer Cape Sundew cuttings from time to time. Here is info on the plant I'm referring to: GrowSundews.com/sundews/Drosera_capensis.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually purchased a Venus Flytrap from HomeDepot. I re-potted it into a bigger pot and used Sphagnum Moss as the substrate and OMG! It is going wild! I am constantly having new heads pop up.

Latest posts