Weird Abdomen Shape

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cytronix

Reaction score
So I found another Mantid but concerned about its Abdomen's shape. Might be assuming it could be a mismolt but I like to see what you guys think if it's anything else ?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

wow. it is werid, if u found it then it is probably a parasite, keep it separate from any other mantis u have. Can u show underside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very strange and looks like internal damage. As the mantid is an adult there are no worries of it mismolting from the issue at least. Indeed put the mantid on a piece of glass or a mirror to see if the problem has ruptured the abdomen wall or is internal.

Heres a pic of its underside. I'm keeping it away from my other mantid. My mom wanted to look after this one after looking at its abdomen. I wasn't really keen on it since I have no idea of its condition. This mantid seems more passive than my other one 

image.jpeg

Indeed very interesting but appears fine. Also appears female, but hard to tell as the end is out of focus (see here for howto). If you found her as an adult there is a good chance she has already mated too, so her ooths should be fertile. ;)

definetly female but I think it has parasites. From wild mantids i have found that is usually what they have when they have abnormal abdomens

Last edited by a moderator: