Welcome to SpongeWorld!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporeworld

Reaction score
OK - so, with many houses to fill, and a complete unwillingness to just use twigs, I present my latest hair-brained enclosure idea for examination and constructive critisms. And for potential dangers I might have missed.

This enclosure is called "SpongeWorld", and is made from dollar store sponges (8 for a dollar, I think) and old fake plant stuff I didn't like.

Idolo5-30-0459.jpg

Ideally, this is for small nymphs that need a little privacy, and a lot of grip. I'm also hoping to add more sponge-trees so that falling to the floor is nearly impossible (think safety net). Needs more density and overlaping of sponges...

Idolo5-30-0459.jpg

These guys ("Red Sheilds") are field testing the sponge-trees for climbability. They move much faster on it than they do on screen, so that's a good sign.

Idolo5-30-0479.jpg

And unlike typical artifical (and real) plants, these can actually "soak up" the water, and evaporate it slowly over the day. Needs testing, of course.

Idolo5-30-0470.jpg

Anyhoo, looking for ideas and improvements. Back is pretty bare, stems are a little boring. Could have used actual sponges on the bottom to complete the concept. Trees made of sponge? That sort of thing.

Cheers!

I love it !!! Dr Seuss has nothing on you :lol: should be great for molting and it is left wing coolness in full swing...

And hey you don't have to look far when its time to clean the tank.

thats insane very clever idea and i gotta say it looks fantastic very creative ;)

Thanks!

Maybe tie-dye the backdrop? Hot glue sponges to the back? I wonder what kind of Nerf products that are out there that I could canibalize...?

There are those long thin foam floaties(inch or 2 round and like 4-6 ft long) that come in many colors, they should fit in nicely.

Ha! You can't see it, but that's what's in the back corners. Didn't have any colorful ones, but I had a gray one laying around.

But maybe stacked in the back like the walls of a log cabin...?

You should definitely do a 'Nightmare Before Christmas' themed set-up, it's my one of our favorites. Your very creative like Precarious. Still liking 'Whosville', I showed some of my family members and they thought it was neato!

Now that is cool...

and it looks super practical too. The climbing surfaces and the ability to soak up the water and then slowly evaporate seems even better. And who can't like a rainbow-enclosure like that? :lol:

Hahah, that is awesome!! I think the mantids would benefit from glow in the dark sponges though, don't ask questions.... they just will. And you know it! :p