What’s up with my mantid’s eyes???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owldoggo

Reaction score
Really, what’s going on with Moriarty??? 
just a few hours ago he was completely fine, sitting still and stuff while I took pictures of him 

AFE0EDF2-176C-4C06-83AC-4205CEEBCB46.jpeg

then I go in to spray his enclosure and I see he has dark brown eyes, what’s going on??? It doesn’t look like eye rub. 
3EFA090E-B2EC-4842-AF96-93FBAB00769F.jpeg
please help!! I’m really worried

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mantis eyes adjust to night or day. It's really cool. I noticed it one day and was quite interested.   It is the ommatidia (tiny lenses in insect compound eyes) that transition from day (apposition eyes) to night (superpositon) eyes or something like that.  The ommatidia change in order to bring in more or less light which makes them change color. It is quite fascinating.

Isn't that like how black is the absence of all color because it absorbs all light? I'm just guessing based on that bit of knowledge, but I'd assume darker eyes absorb more light than light ones. . . I wouldn't quote me on that though. 

Ohhh. Well— I feel pretty dumb now, haha! Thank you! ❤️
I just came here with the same question! I figured there was nothing actually wrong because I've noticed one of my mantis' eyes change between a reddish-brown and green a couple times and he's still kickin', but I thought I might be crazy. It's SO COOL to know that! It's wild to me how much amazing things there are to learn about mantids that you won't find in general "mantis fact" stuff- only here!

Latest posts