What’s wrong with my mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nom

Reaction score
So I got my orchid mantis a few days ago
And it was happy feeding and moving around loved jumping on my hands then it became really lethargic and won’t eat when we got it had molted recently so I’m not sure if it’s molting again or dying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 66732690447__8250A029-4C34-4B80-94E6-19FD2673C73D.MOV
    996.8 KB
May I add it is also shaking then and now
it looks emaciated
if it has a low appetite, it could be dehydrated
offer him droplets of DI water, warm him a little, and try offering a fly
the Humidity is good and his enclosure is wet enough and I’ve offered him water on a cotton bud

the Humidity is good and his enclosure is wet enough and I’ve offered him water on a cotton bud
I’ve also tried feeding earlier and he won’t eat and he’s nice and warm

they need to drink. humidity isn't enough-they can't absorb water from the air
what does the cage look like? what are the exact temps and humidities?

Molting is a possibility. I would assume you know what your doing but orchid mantises are a finicky species. It would help if we knew the temperature and humidity. Too much humidity is not good for mantises.

It’s dead if died yesterday
let us know how quickly it turns black and squishy. it could have had an infection, which manifests as very rapid post-mortem disintegration.
it seems as though Hymenopus coronatus is very susceptible to infection, although I have not found this to be the case. I always recommend that people are careful with how humid they allow rearing containers to get and how frequently they clean cups. When I was living in humid RI, I'd rinse out rearing cups with hot water every 2 weeks. Now, in dry-@$$ CO, I only do it every 3 weeks unless it's a big female with a big appetite

Latest posts