What can I feed to a stick insect with limited options?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamonger

Reaction score
So I am looking to pick up a stick insect this week. I have done my reading and know the goto foods are oak leaves, rose leaves, berry bush leaves, and bramble leaves. However it is winter here in Iceland and some of those would be hard to find even in the summer here. I see that the pet store is feeding the sticks lettuce. Fears of pesticides aside is lettuce of any type a viable food source? Is there anything I can buy at the grocery store that would do the trick? Lettuce (romaine or otherwise), spinach, cabbage, live herbs of some kind? I also have some bean plants from my failed aphid experiments I could give them if that was an option as they are fast to grow and I can be sure nothing bad has been sprayed on them. 

In the long run I plan to plant some raspberry bushes but that is going to take a while.

I used to keep a few kinds and what was easiest for me was rose leaves, Im not sure if they are as commom in Iceland as here, but for me roses are easy to find all year long especially dwarf varieties. Good luck

If they're eating lettuce I assume this is some extremely polyphagous species such as Carausius morosus, in which case almost anything green and leafy will do. Stuff from outside is probably safer than any type of store- bought vegetables.

If they're eating lettuce I assume this is some extremely polyphagous species such as Carausius morosus, in which case almost anything green and leafy will do. Stuff from outside is probably safer than any type of store- bought vegetables.
So far as I can tell the two species the petstore currently carries are
Giant Prickly Stick Insect (Extatosoma tiaratum)
Vietnamese Stick Insect (Ramulus artemis)

It is winter here so outside is not a viable source. I can't wait til spring! Then all my issues will be solved.

force privet stems and use those as you wait for bramble and such to grow inside
I am not sure where to acquire Privet here, I need to look into it more and see what I can find.

So far as I can tell the two species the petstore currently carries are
Giant Prickly Stick Insect (Extatosoma tiaratum)
Vietnamese Stick Insect (Ramulus artemis)

It is winter here so outside is not a viable source. I can't wait til spring! Then all my issues will be solved.

I am not sure where to acquire Privet here, I need to look into it more and see what I can find.
If you haven't already found the KeepingInsects website, they cover phasmids and what they eat. They also have caresheets for both Giant Prickly Stick Insect (Extatosoma tiaratum) and Vietnamese Stick Insect (Ramulus artemis) too. :)

Many English articles related to phasmids have been written by British authors where they are still common pets. They use terminology and native plant species that are common to them, but not elsewhere. What I find odd is most articles on the internet just copy the terminology and species, no matter their geographic location.

Anyway after much searching I can tell you that a privet is shrub (found in the wild in Europe east to Asia) and is typically listed as a invasive species. Due to that it is not available in many places unless it is already spread to the area. If you do not know the name I doubt it is a problem in your area, and likely not available for you either.

Bramble is nothing more than a prickly shrub such as blackberries, raspberries, and roses. The more common plant term (botany) is briar, and may help in your search along with the species themselves.

So I am looking to pick up a stick insect this week. I have done my reading and know the goto foods are oak leaves, rose leaves, berry bush leaves, and bramble leaves. However it is winter here in Iceland and some of those would be hard to find even in the summer here. I see that the pet store is feeding the sticks lettuce. Fears of pesticides aside is lettuce of any type a viable food source? Is there anything I can buy at the grocery store that would do the trick? Lettuce (romaine or otherwise), spinach, cabbage, live herbs of some kind? I also have some bean plants from my failed aphid experiments I could give them if that was an option as they are fast to grow and I can be sure nothing bad has been sprayed on them. 

In the long run I plan to plant some raspberry bushes but that is going to take a while.
Romaine lettuce tends to be a emergency food source for keepers, as it is available year round. Few phasmid species can survive eating it, but even if a species can and will eat it some individuals can starve or develop health problems and die (not all individuals can adjust to it). If the pet store has been feeding them Romaine then those individuals though should be fine as they likely have already adjusted.

There is nothing else in grocery stores at least in the US that any phasmid would eat, including other types of lettuce as it does not work at all or does worse (including leafy greens such as carrot tops, kale, spinach, etc.). Sometimes I have read roses with stems from a flower shop/section of the store for food, but those are covered in various chemicals from growing and to prolong their cut life, and those tend to kill phasmids no matter how they are washed/cleaned. I mention the store bought roses just so you avoid them.

There are a few feeding options (check the plant species on the phasmids caresheets first), but the obvious answer is to continue to feed them Romaine lettuce. Visit any local greenhouse, nursery, garden centers, and related to see if there is any plants that you can buy for them as well. You may be able to find a plant that is small enough and in a pot that you can keep indoors by a window to feed them from.

The other answer is to check wild plants in your area. I of course don't know your property, wooded areas, or such near you but look for evergreen plants that are still growing is a solution. If a plant is nearby cutting a few stems as needed (likely every few days) to feed your phasmids may be a option. You may find the perfect plant, and perhaps one not even listed as a food source, if you offer them what you find.

The last option is to check your country and local laws and see if having plants or at least their leaves shipped to you is a option. It seems in some places that is a option and a way for them to make money, that is shipping phasmid keepers leaves (I've read it several times on UK forums). In the same vein you may be able to have small plants or leaves shipped as well to you from greenhouse nurseries from nearby countries, check websites.

A good option, and one I would caution you to plant plenty of. :)

The native species I've had, Northern Walkingstick (Diapheromera fermorata) is 4" (10cm) maximum and the two you listed are 6" (15cm) so would eat even more. Mine could eat, stripping large leaves in a few days. A single one could eat about 1" (2.5cm) in about 15-20 minutes when it was eating. It ate much more than I thought it could, and was interesting to watch.

A good feeding tip in that aspect is to offer your pets less food more often, and will save your bushes. The leaves/stems even if kept in a container of water dry out rather quickly, and no need to waste your limited food source. Once the leaves begin to dry out it leads to dehydration and constipation in phasmids that eat them.

Another latter option some phasmid keepers do with varying success is to collect fresh leaves during the late spring/summer and freeze them until needed in the winter. Once a few leaves are allowed to thaw and clipped inside on a dowel rod "stem", most phasmids do well.

Best of luck.

@CosbyArt Thank you so much, you are a fountain of information as always.

Iceland is very difficult for an insect keeper let me tell you. Unless you are looking for species of moss or mushrooms it is unreasonably devoid of flora and fauna. As far as I know no wild bramble of any kind grows here (wild roses, berries or anything). I have never seen an oak tree here, a fact confirmed by the fact my husbands father's one request when he first visited Canada was to see an oak tree :p  

Iceland is only just starting to get into the insect and amphibian pet trade and it shows in how difficult it is to feed the pets you can now infrequently acquire. I have visited every garden center I could find to no avail as its Christmas and everyone is obsessed with evergreens and poinsettias. I think you are right, I am just going to have to feed the poor thing lettuce  until I can either grow some raspberries or buy a bush come spring.  

Thank you for mentioning the store roses as I was thinking about that but had not factored in the chemicals fed to them to keep them alive longer which no amount of washing can possibly get off. My only other possibility is that my husband's cousins actually run a green house that grows the long stem roses. I need to have a talk with her about what they spray the plants with... I'm not overly hopeful. 

And here I thought keeping mantises was hard! :p  

@Teamonger Glad it helped. :)

Sorry to hear the landscape is that barren for possible usable plants. Incidentally I've been watching a show about volcanoes on SCIence and they showed many areas of Iceland, and I just figured it was like that in a few areas. Wow, that is a clue for sure if your farther-in-law's request was to see a oak tree lol. :D

Indeed winter is a tough time for feeding pets, especially herbivores.  My fingers are crossed that your husband's cousin has or can provide you with something.

Another thing you could try is the artificial diet that people feed to silkworms and hornworms. It's a powder made mostly from wheat germ that you mix with water and boil, then it cools into a solid mass that could be cut into strips and hung in the enclosure for the phasmids to eat. 

@Salmonsaladsandwich @CosbyArt
Great idea! Its certainly worth a try. I am not finding any options and I am not convinced she is even eating the lettuce as I see her like mouth it but never see any of it actually gone/missing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now to find wheatgerm in Iceland....

On second thought I actually managed to obtain and make this feed in Canada but it was crazy how hard it was to find everything. I can look but normally anything that strange is virtually impossible to manage in Iceland. Living here is like one big hellish treasure hunt which ends in you crying as you pay outlandish amounts for anything you actually DO find.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get commercial silkworm chow, that's probably better than homemade since it contains antimicrobial agents that prevent the food from spoiling before the insects can eat it.

I'm curious how the pet store is keeping the E. tiaratum alive. Lettuce?

Sad sad news. I tried everything I had access to but unfortunately it was not enough and my stick passed away. If the pet store ever gets them in again I will try again in the spring when I can buy berry bushes :(

The pet store was feeding them the exact same lettuce I tried (same store, same brand same everything). I really wonder if they were actually eating it or not. It may have been that they poor things just survived long enough without food to be sold off. They did not have them all that long, under a month I believe. I got my stick near the end so if she had been eating that lettuce you'd think she'd have kept doing it.

Sad end to a sad tale. But at least my mantises are all thriving so I can take solace in that.

Sad sad news. I tried everything I had access to but unfortunately it was not enough and my stick passed away. If the pet store ever gets them in again I will try again in the spring when I can buy berry bushes :(

The pet store was feeding them the exact same lettuce I tried (same store, same brand same everything). I really wonder if they were actually eating it or not. It may have been that they poor things just survived long enough without food to be sold off. They did not have them all that long, under a month I believe. I got my stick near the end so if she had been eating that lettuce you'd think she'd have kept doing it.

Sad end to a sad tale. But at least my mantises are all thriving so I can take solace in that.
Sorry to hear that. :(

I agree - were the walkingsticks eating the lettuce or not at the store was one of my original concerns. If the store had them a month, it sounds like the walkingsticks were eating the lettuce to live that long; but however, as a unsuitable food source it did not sustain the walkingsticks for long. Similar to rabbit starvation in humans, the outcome of a unsuitable food solution can lead to death.

Hopefully you can try them again in the spring when a suitable food source is available.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. If a Extatosoma tiaratum is eating lettuce, I think it's probably desperate and starving.  

But, just for next time: check with a local florist and see if they use salal as a filler plant. Most phasmids will eat it and if you can find it, you can buy it very inexpensively. 

Latest posts