What kind of mantid is this?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narms72

Reaction score
Also is it male of female and its a nymp right? Found it in a park in michigan.

My Mantid.jpg

I think it's a male European mantid (Mantis religiosa). There should be an eye at the base of each foreleg.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks! what do you mean by eye and what stage is he do you know?

Will he turn green or brown or go to the color of the stuff around him?

You can see the black eyespot in between the forearms of the mantis. Definitely Mantis religiosa, looks to be a male and it's probably a sub adult or a molt before that. You can see the wing buds.

He'll probably stay that tan color but it's possible he may turn green. Put some green climbing structures in there (like stems) to see if he turns color. No guarantee though.

Mantids do not change color based on surroundings. But they often do change colors after a molt. I agree on the ID.

I once caught a Mantis that was brown and he turned slowly green and was completely green when I let him go in the fall so I know they can change colors maybe its at random than. Can they eat moths? and hes really small to be a sub adult are you sure his wings are barley developed? and one more thing can they eat moths?

How the heck do you add pics to your signature! Edit There we go!!!!!!

I agree with the above posts too. It's a subadult male Mantis Religiosa. The male's adult sizes can vary between 4.5cm and 6cm so i'm guessing yours is around 3 or 4cm long depending on he's final adult size.

As long as the moths aren't too big he will gladly eat them. Males don't eat so often and are picky with their meals. Large winged insects such as moths butterflies and dragonflies are great options for them. Every insect you find is good for them. Dangerous insects and arachnids like wasps, bees and spiders are only recommended if the mantis is at least 3 times bigger than the prey. That's my personal opinion.

Contrary to females, males prefer to wait for an easier smaller meal than risking injuries with bigger ones. There are always exceptions but in general they'll run away from larger or equally sized prey.

What about fire flys Ive herd there poisonous and that slugs give them parasites?

About the color change, it will not be fast like a chameleon. It is more of a gradual change usually after molts. I've had and seen green, brown, or yellow European mantids. As for food, Domanating pretty much sums it up.

What about fire flys Ive herd there poisonous and that slugs give them parasites?
I personally never gave fire flies because there simply aren't any during the life span of the mantids, at least in Europe but i remember reading a post about it. I think they are harmless and i saw a pic of a mantis with a glowing head after eating one.

I once tried to give a slug to a mantis when i was a beginner in this. As i predicted the slug was too slow for the mantis to even notice its presence. I never saw any mantis actually hunting a slug though.