What species do I have?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsea

Reaction score
Hi, I live in North Carolina. Just found 2 huge grubs- wondering what species of beetle they are. Google images is giving me mixed results. I will take a video of these tonight. But in the meantime - the following picture looks most like what I have. My grub worms have heads that are completely black - while there are side patches of red-brown on each side, there is nothing but white directly above the head.

White it looks very much like a Japanese beetle larva- I don't think that can be it because the larva is 2-3 times bigger than the adult Japanese beetle.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=480613&d=1332446894

Im about 90% sure they areDynastes tityus or also called hercules beetles. The only way for me to be 100% is for you to ship them to me to pupate, lol.

Hard to tell what instar they are but they dont look full grown. Maybe someone with more beetle experience can help.

Awesome, I think I am keeping them and I will see them to adulthood! Ive got them in moist soil now (the same soil they were found in), that includes some plant roots. Put some wet gecko food in for them (its based on fruit). What other food should I feed them? I have read fruit and leafy greens.

definitely looks like a hercules beetle larva!! dude whered you find those! thats awesome lol

I am actually a "dudette". But my stepdad found them under 2 ft of leaves that hadn't been raked since last fall. First time finding hercules in the wild! There must be more around .....in my woods underground or in old rotting wood or such.

That's a third instar based on the size of the head capsule and the appearance of the spiracles. If it is Dynastes tityus, they do not feed on living plant material, but feed primarily on compost mainly composed of decaying wood and leaves.
Collect rotten wood and very well-decayed leaves and make a fine compost for it to eat. It was most likely living and feeding on the deepest layers of decaying leaves when it was found.

Okay - next question - what eggs are these?

Found on oak leaf in NC. I was hoping they were butterflies or katydid but can't find a match. Things you can't tell from the video - the middle is like a flat ring around it, like a 60's UFO saucer which seems to also have a serrated edge. The top middle goes up into a tiny point. These small details are hard to see on camera and I couldn't get it to focus good.

Ok I saw 2 mite like creatures on the same leaf....

Anyways I will probably put the oak leaf back in the woods. BUT I am keeping the dynastes beetles.....going to make a good layer of wood and leaves for them tomorrow. They do have some wood, leaf/plant material to eat on in the meantime.

Your D. tityus larvae need to eat decomposed hardwood like oak or maple. Look for rotting wood that crumbles easily in your hands. Make sure you don't bring in any centipedes with your wood.

Cheers

I have the d tityus living in a substrate of: the soil I found it in, a bunch of decaying leaves from the bottommost layer near where I found them, and a piece of wood that is very dry and can turn to dust in your hands. I guess I should mist-spray the cage (critter keeper) once a day to keep it from getting too dry?

They require moist substrate to live in or they will dessicate. It should be moist enough that if you squeeze the substrate in your hand it clumps up, but not wet enough that water drips out out when squeezed.