What To Feed L5/L6 Ghost Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medusacascade

Reaction score
Looking for a suitable food source for L5/L6 ghost mantises. I haven’t been able to find any blue bottle fly cultures or pupae that will ship to me. Crickets and mealworms are readily available at pet stores but I’ve heard they aren’t ideal. Would springtails be a better option?

edit: First of all, I had no idea springtails were that small, so definitely won’t be feeding them those 😅 And second, I’ve luckily found someone to ship me some blowfly pupae so they’ll be arriving soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Springtails are too small for even L1 ghost mantids really. Blue bottles aren't sold in cultures, but you should be able to get pupae or spikes. I personally feed dubia roaches. Crickets, especially pet store crickets, can carry harmful bacteria that could kill the mantis and they also will attack and eat a vulnerable mantis. Mealworms don't have enough nutrition to be good long-term feeders.

- MantisGirl13

Looking for a suitable food source for L5/L6 ghost mantises. I haven’t been able to find any blue bottle fly cultures or pupae that will ship to me. Crickets and mealworms are readily available at pet stores but I’ve heard they aren’t ideal. Would springtails be a better option?
Basic answer - no.