What's new?

Help Support Mantidforum:

ColeH

Reaction score
I also wanna know who Admin is lol. But man probably my first time on here quite a few years. Miss this place, still keeping mantids on and off though. The hobby has gotten quite a bit more popular from tik tok lmao

ColeH

Reaction score
I also wanna know who Admin is lol. But man probably my first time on here quite a few years. Miss this place, still keeping mantids on and off though. The hobby has gotten quite a bit more popular from tik tok lmao
Apparently I'm on a different account than my original, gotta get that one back

The Wolven

bug-cats or cat-bugs? That is the real question.
Reaction score
Not to sound rude (I know it does) but you've been here all of three months, nobody owes you anything. I agree, they should have given a bit more information. See my previous post.
Understandable. However when I noticed that the older regulars were not reacting well, I may have turned it up a little much. I’ve had a similar situation on another forum and it was not pretty (pretty sure it was a hacker)

Sorry if I have come off as harsh @Admin. I could have been more polite. However, I was not the only one who was concerned about this situation . Many people in this thread were one edge for one reason or the other.

Last edited:

kamakiri

Reaction score
Good to see at least a couple of the mods still here…

I’ve only been ‘keeping’ the mantids outside. The population of S. limbata I released circa 2010-2011 at my house seems to still be going. I find ooths and nymphs around most years by spring and adults by summer or fall.

Aristalochia

Reaction score
Sold? That might explain this. Suddenly I started getting updates that I hadnt signed up for.I havent used this site in years and suddenly this un identified person 'admin' is asking for updates.I also assumed some hacker.. I think this is rude personally and at least a little deceptive since I have no idea who you are. Can you at least say who you are instead of acting as if you aee an old friend? Ill probably delete this account now but I hadnt bothered to because I considered some people on here friends.

Peter Clausen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I concluded the deal to sell this forum to Group Builder a few days ago. Their post here definitely seems a little out of sequence, and understandably surprising, and I'll take partial responsibility for that in the sense that I have a convergence of other things happening right now that have kept me away from the forum for a couple days with respect to making an announcement post.

I suppose this is the new Admin's way of feeling the community out here. I'm not actually sure which rep from the company this is either, but I do know they represent a company with a strong history of success is growing communities. (I haven't read through page 2 of these posts yet though either. ;) ).

I got the same message all of you did and it was a little odd in the context of us prior owners never having emailed anybody, but the bottom line is that this forum is now in very good hands for increasing membership here on the forum through their base of resources in the forum industry. Frankly, I would not have sold it to them if I didn't feel like they were going to manage it better than I did.

A quick thank you to Rick for shouldering the bulk of moderating duties for the ten or so years I owned the forum, and prior to it. And then to Orin who owned it before me, and remains on as a mod here as well as Rick and I for the time being.

Between this forum and its sister forums at Roachforum.com and Beetleforum.net, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $20K hosting them over the years. There were some forum supporters who contributed money on a yearly basis to help support this forum and I thank them.

Mantises will always be one of my favorite insect groups. When I put my website up 25 years ago, I didn't realize what was ahead. Looking back, I'm very happy with how everything has unfolded. I didn't so much choose the path my life has taken, but it was chosen mutually with all of you in cyberspace. Looking forward, I hope that this community is in better hands and that I see Orin and Rick down here at my new business Sky Island Adventures, and many of you as well.

Please welcome our new owner with open arms and give them a chance to do what they do best. Change doesn't happen overnight, but I'm confident it will happen and it will be favorable.

Finally, thank you to everybody that found the beauty in nature through mantises and their relationship to them.

Peter Clausen
Former Forum Owner

Sarah K

Reaction score
Thanks for the update @Peter Clausen! Good to know the forum hasn't been hacked! I too, was surprised to start getting daily activity updates from this forum in my email, which seemed fairly out of the blue, but so far I am enjoying it, and it has reinvigorated my interest in this forum a bit! I can't believe it's been 6 years since I started PanTerra Pets! But if it wasn't for this forum, PanTerra Pets never would have been, so this forum will always be special to me in that sense, so good to know the forum will still live on, even without the trusted ownership of Peter! AND THANK YOU AGAIN Peter, for all that you have done over the years to keep this forum going, I know we are all extremely grateful to you for that!

Last edited:

kamakiri

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and explanation!

This is one of the limbata I found out in the yard last August

CA497AE8-57F6-4D04-AA7B-EC34D17905DC.jpeg
5CC8C71B-C2DF-4C0C-915D-7720B580F348.jpeg

Peter Clausen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the update @Peter Clausen! Good to know the forum hasn't been hacked! I too, was surprised to start getting daily activity updates from this forum in my email, which seemed fairly out of the blue, but so far I am enjoying it, and it has reinvigorated my interest in this forum a bit! I can't believe it's been 6 years since I started PanTerra Pets! But if it wasn't for this forum, PanTerra Pets never would have been, so this forum will always be special to me in that sense, so good to know the forum will still live on, even without the trusted ownership of Peter! AND THANK YOU AGAIN Peter, for all that you have done over the years to keep this forum going, I know we are all extremely grateful to you for that!
Thank you very much, Sarah!

Krissim Klaw

Reaction score
Signing in to learn the forum was sold... it is the ending of an era I suppose. It would have been nice to see it go to someone in the hobby, someone that cared about mantises and the community surrounding them. A quick google search will tell you the forum is now owned by an advertisement company looking to make money off clicks and ads. I don't blame Peter for deciding he was done, especially after sinking so much over the years, but I also feel Peter is selling himself short thinking the new owners will give this place even one tenth the care he has over the years.

Still, thank you Peter for helping to maintain this place for as long as you did. A lot of great knowledge passed through here that helped a lot of keepers and mantises alike.

Erin Katovich

Reaction score
I concluded the deal to sell this forum to Group Builder a few days ago. Their post here definitely seems a little out of sequence, and understandably surprising, and I'll take partial responsibility for that in the sense that I have a convergence of other things happening right now that have kept me away from the forum for a couple days with respect to making an announcement post.

I suppose this is the new Admin's way of feeling the community out here. I'm not actually sure which rep from the company this is either, but I do know they represent a company with a strong history of success is growing communities. (I haven't read through page 2 of these posts yet though either. ;) ).

I got the same message all of you did and it was a little odd in the context of us prior owners never having emailed anybody, but the bottom line is that this forum is now in very good hands for increasing membership here on the forum through their base of resources in the forum industry. Frankly, I would not have sold it to them if I didn't feel like they were going to manage it better than I did.

A quick thank you to Rick for shouldering the bulk of moderating duties for the ten or so years I owned the forum, and prior to it. And then to Orin who owned it before me, and remains on as a mod here as well as Rick and I for the time being.

Between this forum and its sister forums at Roachforum.com and Beetleforum.net, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $20K hosting them over the years. There were some forum supporters who contributed money on a yearly basis to help support this forum and I thank them.

Mantises will always be one of my favorite insect groups. When I put my website up 25 years ago, I didn't realize what was ahead. Looking back, I'm very happy with how everything has unfolded. I didn't so much choose the path my life has taken, but it was chosen mutually with all of you in cyberspace. Looking forward, I hope that this community is in better hands and that I see Orin and Rick down here at my new business Sky Island Adventures, and many of you as well.

Please welcome our new owner with open arms and give them a chance to do what they do best. Change doesn't happen overnight, but I'm confident it will happen and it will be favorable.

Finally, thank you to everybody that found the beauty in nature through mantises and their relationship to them.

Peter Clausen
Former Forum Owner
Thanks so much for the honest update Peter! and for all you do to help us bug lovers network. Always a pleasure to be involved; I hope the shift in responsibility and such are a wonderful relief!

Erin Katovich

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Yikes it has been awhile. Glad to get a reminder about this forum. Currently I am working with a few mantis species (Ghosts, Cateyed, Cryptic, Twig, Orchid, Spiny, Megaera) as well as many arachnid, roach, isopod, and assassins. Have been vending at reptile expos in the PNW the last year or so, very fun to be on the other side of the table. I mostly communicate through instagram @arthropod_ambassadors as well as having a website, youtube, and email and all that ( https://www.arthropod-ambassadors.com/ ). Working on educational programs, pinned displays, art and stickers to keep people interested in bugs, and recently teamed up with the new location for PDXinsectarium which has been great! info at pdxinsectarium.org. yep that is about it as far as an update, hope everyone is well! Happy Spring and Yay Mantises!

Erin
w arthropod ambassadors
Taking a unique look at our tiny neighbors that wear their bones as their skin.

AutumnIvy

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for the update, Peter! As per Admin's request: Lately, haven't had a ton going on-- just getting through my senior year of college. I recently finished my big senior project on mycology and presented on it. In the meantime, I've been taking care of my four mantids and gargoyle gecko (x2 Rhombodera sp., Rhombodera basalis, and Hierodula majuscula).

firefly75

Reaction score
I have stopped keeping mantid's in captivity. I only had the one, she lived for about year. I moved to the country and they are everywhere. I keep a watchful on them, occasionally rescuing them from being mutilated by cats and chickens or my moms flyswatter. She used to kill them outright, but now that I've shown her what interesting and helpful little critters they are she always calls me to 'remove' them :) I have a live oak right next to the house and in the spring its just full of the little green beauties. I enjoy watching them sleep upside down under the leaves and flitting about my potted plants. From tiny little hatchlings to mature adults, I get to see the whole cycle and know that they are where they belong. I have nothing against keeping them as pets and maybe someday when I have more time to spare, I'll get an exotic for fun.

nirotorin

Reaction score
My last Spiny flower mantis died a couple months ago. Looking forward to getting more this spring/summer. Also possibly some orchids.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
I still have 1 mantis: consuela en 4 hissing roaches. I keep it with 1 or 2 mantids at a time, because hubby still dont understand the hobby.

williamsanders

Reaction score
I am moving from a one bedroom apartment to another one bedroom apartment nearby. This is my only upcoming habit change lol

Latest posts