Which color will this one grow up to be?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MK-

Reaction score
PhotoAug0823156PM_zpsd19be8a8.jpg

PhotoAug0833210PM_zpsabfdb2de.jpg

These are two different photos of the same mantis, both taken today. I don't remember having any two-tone ones like this last time. Is this common? I'm guessing this one will turn out green because of the green legs, but that's just based on looking at pics of other ones I've had.

Which color do you think? Place your bets.

Yes it is common. Many of the males I see in the wild around here are either this brown-green color or just brown.

This is a VERY beautiful male! My T. sinensis male is a two toned brown and orange. But like Rick said, it is very common for male Chinese mantids to have a great amount of color combinations! I've seen males that were neon green with a bright orange spot on it's thorax, to solid colors, to a combination of the two, so you are very lucky to have such an impressive mantis! (breed him, great genetics for colors and patterns!) My guess is, he will keep the green legs, his wing buds are light green so I'm going to say that they will turn into a light green with some orange, and from the thorax up, he'll be a combo of brown and green! Is he L6? Very cool mantis!

Agreed! Beautiful boy. One of mine just died yesterday (obit up on board). Too bad the males last only 6 months or so. Both are mostly brown and tan with a pronounced green stripe on the outer wing edge. I wonder if their colors are less pronounced when kept captive indoors from nymph-hood?

Thanks, guys. He molted to L6 on 7/25, so I'm expecting another molt soon. But he's just standing on a wall of his enclosure right now, staring at the bottom and waiting for food to appear, so I don't think there will be a molt today.

I have a girl like your male. Green legs, brown body. She is sub-adult so I will see soon. She's getting close to molting.

colors keep from nymphs are just as beautiful, I had one die yesterday and I took his wings, and was amazed at the striking green on them, almost looked fake!

Latest posts