Which terrarium to choose for Orchid Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doogienguyen

Reaction score
So I am planning to get an orchid mantis. Ive had a Spiny Flower before but i know Orchids require more work.

The first terrarium will have a mesh top. I am not sure if i can add cross ventilation for the side panels.
The second terrarium can have cross ventilation on the sides and one at the top. I posted a picture of the panels with cross ventilation.

I like the first terrarium more but i am wondering if i cant get the cross ventilation how important is that for an orchid? The top mesh is huge.

1. Is just a mesh top ok for Terrarium 1?
2. Are three panels ok for cross ventilation for Terrarium 2? Two on the side and one at the top.
3. Do i need a mesh top instead of a vent for Terrarium 2? I plan on getting plants for the mantis to hang from.
4. What kind of mesh is durable for the top? Not a fan of tulle since it feels cheap. Was thinking Polyester, Nylon or Fiber Glass Mesh.

I live in Southern California if that changes anything.

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 7.59.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 7.59.32 AM.png
    890.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 10.42.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 10.42.39 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 11.14.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 11.14.31 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I like #2 and the 3 holes are nice, you can add something to the top for its hanging, which is usually for molting. something it can hold onto good.

I like #2 and the 3 holes are nice, you can add something to the top for its hanging, which is usually for molting. something it can hold onto good.
I figured #2 had the better ventilation. Would the #1 terrarium be ok though with the roof as mesh and then replace the two diagonal panels with mesh also?