Why do People say Carolina mantis Females Can’t Fly?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
People have told me before Carolina mantis females can not fly because of too short of wings. However, I have kept then several times and they can fly short distances. Why do people keep telling me this then?

Oh ok. It wasnt so much of a glide it actually used its wings though that isn’t considered flight? Like what purpose do the wings serve then? For its aggressive pose?

It wasnt so much of a glide it actually used its wings though that isn’t considered flight?
Yes, she would have used her wings, but she can't fly away like a male. Because she can't sustain flight, she's considered flightless. That's why Carolina females make great free range pets. Give them a good large plant and they tend to stay on it... as long as food is available. 

Like what purpose do the wings serve then?
Evolutionary adaptation would be my guess. Vestigial limbs are seen in many species. Perhaps staying in one area aids in mating... good question. 

But aren’t wings used in threat displays? I guess that is their only use? But what purpose does gliding a few feet do anyhow?

Last edited by a moderator:
The wings are used in the threat pose, to provide extra protection for the abdomen, and to help the female glide in longer jumps as long as she isn't gravid.

- MantisGirl13 

How does it protect the abdomen? Is this confirmed for sure that that is a purpose for wings as wings really are not that protective I thought as they are really thin?

How does it protect the abdomen? Is this confirmed for sure that that is a purpose for wings as wings really are not that protective I thought as they are really thin?
They are thin, but they are just enough protection, although that's not their main purpose. 

- MantisGirl13 

Fredrick Prete is a university pro who studies praying mantis, most things about them including flight, eyes and hearing are in his book. Praying Mantis by Fredrick Prete.