My experience collecting in Hong Kong and Malaysia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, my apology to members who have been PMing and Emailing wishing me for a great trip and asking for help. A week before my trip things get way too hectic which gave me very little time to sleep, I basically flew out of Houston without having much time checking my inbox and email. Currently I am in Hong Kong, it has been rainig dogs and cats for the past few days here in HK but i do intent to squeeze something out of my tight schedule to try my luck on couple of parks. My trip is mainly visiting relatives and touring around with my family so i only have about 2 days in HK and 4-5 days in Malaysia collecting bugs. While I cannot promise any mantis pic in this thread, my hope is to still finding some small species in HK (such as Leptomantella sp.) and probably Deroplatys and Hymenopus in Malaysia. Missing the trip last year makes me more determine in trying my best finding some mantis though. But most of all, i would just like to relax and enjoy the trip. I promise to upload some pics as soon as I have the chance taking some (depending on internet availability), it would be a great experience for me i am sure. Here is a pic I took in the airport waiting for the plane (Continental) to LAX. I am sure there will be more to follow.

plane1.jpg

Oh by the way, i will be returning PM/Email soon but if you don't see my reply in a week, it just mean i don't like you :p only kidding!

Edit: new link to the same pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear from you Yen. Be safe and we look forward to those pics.

Good Luck in HK and Malaysia!!!

And do not worry if you are visiting Borneo, especially the Tip Of Borneo (Kudat) B)

Sorry for being ignorant. I left Hong Kong few days ago, currently in Malaysia right now and travelling around most of the time so limited internet access. There are load of photos taken (mostly sight seeing pics) but i didn't bring my SLR camera so most are not quality pics. I spent couple of day collecting in Hong Kong and spotted some nice mantis species I hope to share here when i got the time to download all my pics in the computer. The mantis species are Creobroter, Hierodula, RHombodera, Acromantis, Leptomantella, Spilomantis, Odontomantis, Tenodera, and Statilia i could have seen more i forgotten. I hope to find some mantis in Mlaysia too, i should be going to Cameron Highland next Monday, but my collecting spots should mainly be 1000 ft below sea level (CH tourist area is about 5000 ft). Currently i am using my 8" Sony netbook w/ free wifi as i typed right now :)

Shall be in touch all!

Sorry for being ignorant. I left Hong Kong few days ago, currently in Malaysia right now and travelling around most of the time so limited internet access. There are load of photos taken (mostly sight seeing pics) but i didn't bring my SLR camera so most are not quality pics. I spent couple of day collecting in Hong Kong and spotted some nice mantis species I hope to share here when i got the time to download all my pics in the computer. The mantis species are Creobroter, Hierodula, RHombodera, Acromantis, Leptomantella, Spilomantis, Odontomantis, Tenodera, and Statilia i could have seen more i forgotten. I hope to find some mantis in Mlaysia too, i should be going to Cameron Highland next Monday, but my collecting spots should mainly be 1000 ft below sea level (CH tourist area is about 5000 ft). Currently i am using my 8" Sony netbook w/ free wifi as i typed right now :) Shall be in touch all!
Look forward to the pics Yen. Stay safe.

Yeah!! Reply ASAP!!! :p ...LOL... I am glad your trip has been a good one. Hopefully you can bring back US some new species...

Have a great time! Im also cant wait to see all your pictures, Im sure theyll be great.