Intro's and grass mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Keeper

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have observed this forum for a while now but have decided to finally pipe in. Just wanted to say hello. I have also caught some grass-like mantids and because of something Yen had in a former post kept them together in a large container. I added plenty of food, mostly lacewigs and moths, then sat back to watch. Not even five minutes later one of my females ran over and attacked my only male. Needless to say he was dead before I could do anything. I was now left with two females and that was no good, so I went back outside to find a male (and continue my search for a certain other elusive mantis). I was lucky enough to find another male shortly and I introduced him in hopes of a success now that my larger females appetite was quenched. If anyone can give me tips on this species that would be cool because this is the first time I have managed to find females so I am in new water here. Well, thanks in advance for any help and hello again.

Ok, since no one has replied yet I am just going to update using the same post. My two females I have discovered are showing signs of being territorial. They fought today though neither tried to harm the other (they did not try and grasp their opponent). They looked like two boxers, they jabbed, swayed, and ducked. When one fell from a miss swing the other would wait until it got back up into position before attacking again. This went on for about 5 minutes before one turned and ran away. Now they both have seperate sides of the aquarium and have picked new hunting posts. Anyway, I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share it with you all.

Hi Mantis Keeper, Thesprotia Grimins is communal species. You can find quite a few of them living together in a small area in the wild. However, mated female could be territorial especialy when she is near the time of laying ooth. Especially in a confine area like a cage and container. So it is different if you compare them in the wild.

Latest posts