we have a mantis room

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorriekay56

Reaction score

Hello everyone

We cleaned out our college son's room last night and made it into a mantis room. so far we just have some bookshelves, ect to put our containers on. We are looking to buy a large quantity of some kind of mantis container like critter keepers or betta keepers for nymps.

My husbund can not bring himself to raise the nymps in deli cups.

we are also interested in purchasing nymps. I will post that on the

Wanted/ for sale board. When we have the room together I will post pics.

How many nymphs do you plan on raising at a time? The deli cup thing is probably the best way to do it. It's time consuming to feed em all that way but you can ensure they eat. When placed in a larger enclosure tiny nymphs have a hard time getting food sometimes. I suggest using shelving like I have in my room. The thing hanging is something I use to raise nymphs until about L2-3 then they go into deli cups.

MyrtleBeach2005026.jpg

MyrtleBeach2005027.jpg

Hey Rick, Where do you buy your deli cups? Do you make or buy those foam plugs? Do the mantis require uv light?

I get the cups from fruitflies.net and I get the foam plugs from carolina.com or sometimes I make my own if I have some foam. The mantids do not require any special light I just use lights to see them better.

As Rick said, I wouldn't suggest you raise nymphs in anything larger than deli cups if you would like for them to find their food. Also when you're hatching 200+ nymphs that need to be seperated, you'll find those deli cups quite convenient. They may not be aesthetically pleasing, but they work.

Latest posts