Mesh/Screen

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geckospot

Reaction score
What type of mesh/screen should I use on top of my mantis enclosure to keep the fruitflies in? Where can I buy it?

I buy the white stuff from Wal Mart. They have a roll of it You have them cut off however much you need. It's the stuff with the tiny holes. I use double sided tape to hold it to the top of the tank. Then I put the metal screen lid over top of it.

Fiberglass screen works really well. I actually use a hot glue gun to attach fiberglass screening to the lids of the clear plastic "jars" that Walmart normally carries as well. This is how I house all of my young invertebrates.

Yeah fiberglass screen works well however it won't keep fruit flies in.

I use a fine mesh that I bought from a fabric store. I found it in the bridal department, so I'm assuming it's for wedding veils. It works just fine for keeping mantids where they belong, and it's cheap too. :D

Be aware that crickets can chew through it over time. I tried to use mesh as a lid for keeping pinheads inside a deli cup, and a few of the little buggers escaped. I switched back to a Gladware container with holes poked into the lid.

Yes, I know. You can use a layer of aluminum window screen under the fine mesh to prevent this from happening.

Well the crickets shouldn't be in the mantids cage long enough to chew through it.

Well the crickets shouldn't be in the mantids cage long enough to chew through it.
I can't speak for Gecko, but I was talking about my experience from using mesh as a cover for my feeder insect containers.

Yes. I learned that years ago whan making screen tops for my cricket bins. They ate through the fiberglass screen in like 30 min. so I switched to aluminum.

Latest posts