New pet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharac

Reaction score
Hello,

We need some inoformations about the new pet in our house.

We don't know anything about this "mantid" (is it a mantid???)

Can you help us to know something, please? :roll:

NSCI1307.JPG

(Our pet is something like this one on the photo)

Thanks

I think you are right althought i don' know anything about phasmids too :oops: But it looks just like this one :

b-thaii3cedricvaucher.jpg

This is Baculum thaii :D

Thank you very much

HI, I can not see much from the pic but if it has threalike raptorial forearms it may be the Grass Mantis Thesprotia Griminis found in Fl USA. IF it is this speceis, it will feed almost exclusively on fruit flies, it needs a constant humidity like that of Florida. Keep the mantis at temps and humidity levels of its native enviorment. I may be wrong, it may be another insect or even another species of mantis

I agree. That looks like a phasamid. I think its even eating a leaf in the pic.

Im sure its not a grass mantid. It has long antennae so it would not be a female grass mantis and it has no wings so its not a male grass mantis.

www.Geckospot.com

Also...My grass mantid loves crickets so they dont eat "exclusively fruitflies".

that is not a mantid, it is a phasmid, as dave said. I am almost certain it is a Diapheromera sp, which are pretty common in the US. You will often see them mating on twigs and branches, . Nice find :D

Cheers,

Ian

I would say it is a phasmid, really. I think it is some Baculum (thaii, extradentatum or insignis).

Thank you Dave & Co. :D

Oh, that is neat! I have never seen a phaismid, they look like my grass mantid that just laid some ooth. I do not wish to get off topic, but can any one supply a male Thesprotia Griminis? My male died and she is on the 5th ooth, reintorduction of a male will assure fertility and vaibility of the ooth?

i think i read that one mating is enough and she just saves it somewhere to make future eggs fertile

Wow, unless I start raising stinky cricekts, where can I get them that small? Crickets will make a female sick if too many and not at all advisable during depositing of Ooth???

OH, Orin advises it? correct me if I am wrong, I hope that you are correct as she will lay a few more. They are so pretty, pink! Looks like a small moth! Looks alot like the Brunners ooth except in size and color, neat ooths!

I see, I find on some pages that once is enough, I find on others and in a cerain book that rebreeding is best, not required, but sort of like an insurance. Thank you. I guess maybe later when I have a few pair of them, I will try both ways to see if there is a noticible difference in the hatch rate and quality. Happy Collecting:)

Oh, that is neat! I have never seen a phaismid, they look like my grass mantid that just laid some ooth. I do not wish to get off topic, but can any one supply a male Thesprotia Griminis? My male died and she is on the 5th ooth, reintorduction of a male will assure fertility and vaibility of the ooth?
Please stay on topic. This deserves a thread of its own. I will edit/delete/move this at some point, hopefully after you realize why it doesn't belong.

Latest posts