P. Wahlbergi & P. Ocellata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisSouth

Reaction score
Alright.. all over the internet.. I've seen these variations of these names..

Pseudocreoboter Wahlbergi

Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergi

Pseudocreoboter Ocellata

Pseudocreobotra Ocellata

Which is it?

Hi.

Yes, they are both valid species. There is a third, Pseudocreobotra amarae, but I did not seen that one for myself yet.

Regards,

Christian

The male genitalia of 'both' are the same so the only name that's valid is the older one: Pseudocreobotra ocellata

Oh yeagh, the species name NEVER starts in a capital letter.

Hi.

Orin wrote: "The male genitalia of 'both' are the same"

I did not manage to look at the genitalia yet. However, there are some distributional and morphological differences, so it would be premature to reject wahlbergii. However, if you know a paper on this issue I am not aware of, please let me know.

There are a few cases where the male genitalia of two closely related species are not distinguishable, however, the femelas clearly show differences. I remember a case in the genus Catasigerpes. So, just a generic revision may clarify the situation (or not...). The possibilities are: 1. the three species are maintained; 2. at least wahlbergii may become a subspecies of ocellata; 3. ocellata is the only, very variable species.

Regards,

Christian

Latest posts