Identify this behavior?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
What does it mean when my mantis (Sphodromantis) kind of swings back and forth? You see, when I move my hand close to him/her (she/he is still very small) somtimes she/he "rocks" back and forth, she/he also does that when she/he spots a cricket. Thanks in Advance!

Im pretty sure they do it to mimic a leaf or twig moving in the breeze. It helps them camouflage themselves. I think it kind of breaks up their outline amongst the foliage. Chameleons do it too.

www.Geckospot.com

I have seen this with alot of critters and when grasshoppers do it ( sway ) it is to get a better idear on how far there target is so i think the mantids do this to get a better look around.

Hi,

I think its got something to do with their depth perception. It isn't the same as our. They do it to crickets so theyu can tell how far away it is so they don't miss and they do it other times just for watching their surrounds aswell as camoflage. But yes it is used for camoflage just as often as for sight.

I can't remember where I read this.

Cheers, Cameron.

Yeah, i'd read in a few places that when a mantis moves its head side to side or any direction when looking at prey, they're actually working out all the details of what they're looking at, distance, maybe size, etc...

I thought it was to mimic foliage moving in the wind etc as chameleons do

if you can find where you read about depth perception could you give us a link?

if you can find where you read about depth perception could you give us a link?
here: http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/b...onparallax.html

motion.gif

Yeah, just as I thought.

Thanks for sending us that link johnald, I wouldn't have been able to explain it at all. :lol:

Cheers, Cameron.

Latest posts