New Here! Pictures inside

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rib

Reaction score
Hi Im new here and I thought what better way to introduce myself than introduce you to my Mantids :)

May I introduce you to Mash

Macro02.jpg

and Twiggy

Macro03.jpg

I have more but I dont want to kill off any dial up users. I found this forum a week or so ago and its been a great place for good information so far, helped me prepare one of my Mantids for shedding. Hope to see you all around

Welcome! That's a very nice couple of mantis you got there! Yeah dead leaf? Although looks a bit lighter than I remember them..

The first picture is of a Deroplatys lobata, so ti is a Dead Leaf mantis yeah, but not the kind you associate with the name. Deroplatys dessicata are the darker ones, I have two little ones of them too :)

Nice and healthy looking male subadult D. Lobata Rib!! I have a few pairs of D. Lobata too, male seems to have no problem shedding but females are wimpy when molting and sometimes drop during the process.

This is my favorite female d. lobata, and she laid an ooth this afternoon. A very odd shape ooth :?:

Lobataf2.jpg

dlobataooth2.jpg

wow yen, nice! Was that the female from vaclav? Looks identical to the markings on mine. Unfortunately, I could not get a mate for my females and both died :(

I hope to raise the species again some time..

Wow, funky ooth!

Have never seen one quite like that..

Cheers,

Ian

She looks very cool Yen, and that is an odd shaped ooth. Is it supposed to be laid along the tree branch rather than sticking out from it? Maybe you have a Monet Mantis who wanted to try something different?

Bummer! i just realized it was the wrong pic Ian, but you are right the one that was laying ooth is the one I traded with Vaclav. She had been with the male for weeks, and she ate one of my adult male :evil: i hope it is fertiled.

BUt the first pic was actually the female d. lobata you sent to me a while ago when she was only L3-L4.... and look at her now! a beautiful adult.

The ooth shape is kinda weird Rib, it is different than what i have seen before. This is the female d. lobata with ooth i took during a trip to Houston Musuem of science last year.

ddesiccata2.jpg

I am sure they are both D. Lobata despite of the odd shape ooth. I guess the female can lay any shape of ooth she likes. But the basic shape should be somewhat similar.

Yeah Ian. All of the L3-L4 D. Lobata that survived the trip (your seond parcel) make it to adulthood. The females are young adult so I haven't mate them yet. I still wonder where is the first parcel :( or i would have older female d. lobata ready to mate.

Jwonni, the female adult is about 3.5 inches (8-9 cm). Adult male is smaller and only 2 inches (5-6 cm).

Hi,

My brother used to have a nymph of d.lombata and jeez it was so aggressive. Interesting to watch but my brother was always wanting to hold it but either it would go for him or when it got on his hand it would hang off him with its arms forward. Bit him within 2 mins of having it lol :lol: .

Any one seeling these right now? nymphs not adults.

Cheers, Cameron.

Sorry yeah,

forgot lol :lol: . He doesn't do pay-pal though does he? I'll have to annoy my parents to get a cheque for him. So much hastle cheques I think.

Cheers, Cameron.