What was your first mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was a Taumantis sp (from whitminster ;) ) which was spposedly an african mantis. I had an ooth laid, which was lime green, and of course, I didn't have a clue about it. Graham Smith was most intrigued, so I traded one of my ooths for a sphodromantis Rubrastigmata ooth from him, which hatched ;) Through trading and selling, my collection built up from there.

So bassically, thanks Graham!!

Cheers,

Ian

Well, technically my first mantids were several nymph europeans that I found at my dads business. I don't like to count that because, as I had not yet done any research, I went from 8 to 2 overnight(I foolishly left them in the same container). The first mantis I bred was Gonotista grisea, my mantids mated, female laid 4 ooths, and they all hatched. Unfortunately they all died :( . They had hatched at a time when I had no fruit flies. Anyway I am doing a much better job now, I am keeping a fruit fly stock and am again attempting to raise G. grisea as well as T. graminis.

Not sure really. When I was a kid I used to go to an area that was full of them and just observe them.

Hi,

My first was a giant asian (Hierodula.Membrenacea)called "Nibbles" because of the way it ate, which I got when I was 11 (16 now).

But unfortuantely although it lasted 6 months as a nymph with me, died 6 weeks into being an adult due to a problem laying an ootheca according to my pet shop :cry: .

Cheers, Cameron.

Latest posts