Crossbreeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rib

Reaction score
Is it possible to cross breed mantis? Has anyone ever heard or tried it? p.s. Im not implying that I plan or intend to try it, just came into my mind and I thought what better place to get an answer :)

if it has the same beginning name i think. Like breeding differnt creobroter sp. is possible.

I have tried many times to crossbreed different species. Only one time did I get a good mating. That time was between a female chinese and a male H. Grandis. The female had already been mated by one of her own kind and the nymphs were chinese. But I have had many close ones of the males mounting the females but never actually getting a good connection. From my little experiments I have concluded that males seem to go off of visual cues when it comes to mating as males of different speices will mount almost any female of another species as long as they are compatible size wise. So in a nutshell I have not been sucessful.

first word is genus

second is species

if you cross breed the species you get a new species a hybrid

you can only get a sub species when you breed the same species and evolution takes effect and changes them to be diffrent from the parent species

i think thats how it works

I've almost had succes with my african mantis and european mantis mating (picture of it below), but the european was smaller than normal when i caught it, if longer, they would have connected and mated with ease, even my male chinese mantis attempted to mate with an african mantis multiple times. I've also almost had a D. lobata nearly mate with a ghost, chinese mate with Talmonica, and even D. lobata nearly mating with a Violin!. but succesfully cross breeding is nearly impossible because of each mantid's outline, body, and sexual organs. cross breeding can sometimes be easy, but almost is always half way succesful. supplied with diff species of mantids that have a basic outline and if each are nearly the same size, then you can give cross breeding a try, but with trying to mate a chinese mantis with a violin mantis, its impossible because of their totally different body outlines.

Picture531.jpg
heres a pic of my european mantis male attempting to mate with a female african mantis

Joe

what about artificial insemination??

extracting the sperm and getting it inside the female would be hella tricky though. anyone got any ideas regarding this? just imagine if you was the first one to get the first proper hybrid, you might get on the news 8)

I was thinking it cant be that far fetched becuase alot of creatures can cross breed, I was just curious what experiences people had of it with Mantids. I wonder if anyones ever succeded

Next year i will be attempting a large scale crossbreeding program (private program)

generally speaking you will find that small scale attempts will get you know where. You are more likely to find the species fail to mate or mating results in non viable nymphs or simply that the female had produced an ooth a sexually whith the males ''sperm''having been unused or useless.

Lee.

if i have any success that i will let you know. Remember tho donkey & horse = mule mules as you know are incapable of repoduction. :roll:

I dont see the point in hybrids, unless it's possible in the animals natural ranges. Where it's not natural, it shouldn't happen.

I suppose many ''did not see the point'' in selectively breeding wolves, until of courses that is people became aware of the huge variation in shape size colour of which man was able to breed them into. Dogs seem very popular more so than the wolves they one where.

Simply it an interesting aspect of the hobby, the ability to manipulate the mantids we are most interested in and possibly ''bind'' them together to form something new and possibly wonderful.

Besides many have already had success as such, many on the sphod mantids L,B,G,and C have already been crossed, generally because some have not been able to correctly identify them. Using a more exotic species would simple yield some interesting results.

Regards Lee

Also potentially painful, deadly deformities could also be yielded. Also, if one species is adapted to a particular location, even if the overall environment is 'similar' and this species is then crossed with another, then the poor animal might have the mind to behave and respond like one species, but be unable to due to the physical nature of it's other parent. You only have to look at some of the 'jungle corn snakes' to see this, totally disgusting cross in my opinion, so many get damage to their noses because they want to burrow like one parent, but has the snout of the other.

"I suppose many ''did not see the point'' in selectively breeding wolves, until of courses that is people became aware of the huge variation in shape size colour of which man was able to breed them into. Dogs seem very popular more so than the wolves they one where."

Creating hybrids is totally different biologically to artificial selection within a single species such as the wolf to dog example. The first will, at best produce offspring that are themselves infertile dead-ends that could not breed, like mule offspring of horse x donkey. The second is just a man-made and speeded up version of evolution of one or two features within a species. I personally disagree about artificial selection of the wolf. Although dogs are useful to man, the original animal is far more interesting and beautiful and dogs are just a sad reflection by comparison.

''Creating hybrids is totally different biologically to artificial selection within a single species such as the wolf to dog example''

For instance the German Shepard, this was a cross breed. Many dogs are in fact cross bred.

I have not look this up as of yet but I think to declare a species as new he number needs only to exceed 1000.

fair point to argue dogs came from one species, but that is besides the point since then there have been many species created, there are in fact many species of wolf, your argument is somewhat floored. But he point is perfectly acceptable, however many mantids have similar behavioural patterns and it would be very easy once genetics were accounted for to create a viable cross.

Lee

Latest posts