Moulting times

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellroy

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just thinking that I never saw my C. gemmatus moult as they always did it during the night but I have seen all of my Idolo shed as they have been doing it during the day.

Has anyone else noticed species shedding at certain times?

Cheers

Alan

Hmm good point, I have noticed my mantis mainly shedding early morning. Early I mean 7-10am lol. Although not sure about flower mantis as I only check up on most of mantis later on in the day.

I never see mine shed in the day, it is always at night. However, with a recent batch of hymenopus, these all seemed to shed in the evening, just before lights went out.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi,

Well mine shed at completely different times. c.gemmatus before lights out (evening) my chinese always around midday and the ghosts god knows. always missed the ghosts shed. generally in the evening for me or when I'm at school or something so I dont catch them often. Saw my L4 pw shed into L5 which looked very cool but couldn't find a camera :( .

Ah well.

Cheers, Cameron.

Over here they seem to be moulting in the late afternoon ( dusk ) / evening / night.

That goes for my Parapshendale's, Oxyopsis, Sphodromantis, Polyspilota and Phyllocrania nymphs.

I have noticed though that all the species mentionned above also moult directly after misting the enclosures during daytime...

Since I usually mist the cages every evening after the lights and heatmats go out, it's quite obvious for them to moult then because of the higher humidity level during the night.

Witnessed to Idolomantis shedding to L6 yesterday morning/lunchtime (UK) but woke this morning to find another had shed through the night. Its L7 now and looking very impressive!!

Alan

Latest posts