Communal Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rib

Reaction score
Hi, I just recieved some very healthy Bleph nymphs from Ian (Devil Flower Mantis) and was wondering what experience you have had in raising them communally. Space is a problem for me at the moment so ideally id like to be able to keep them together, however I do not want to risk any nibbling. How successful / unsuccesful have you been in keeping these together and at what level did you come across problems, if any? Cheers

They seem to be very friendly at the moment, as soon as i got them out of the package they arrived in, they all huddled in one pace and stayed there

DSCF1288.jpg

Hi Rib, nice Bleph.! Looks like L4. They seldom eat each other at this stage but it is better to separate them although they are still very small in size. They don't need too much of space so try to think of a way and separate you cage into 3 parts using plexiglass or even just wire mesh. Good luck.

ok cool, cheers yen. I've seperated them now, though I think its a shame as Its alot more practical to keep them together. Out of curiosity.. Out of all the species of Mantid you have kept, which have you successfully kept together right through into adulthood?

D. Lobata and Ghost... but i separate male and female at L4. I know what you mean... if you have lot of them it is so much easier to keep them together, but why risk it when you have less than 10?