South American Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meemee

Reaction score
My husband caught this mantis in the Amazon jungle in Ecuador and just sent me these pictures. Does anyone know what kind it is? The second picture isn't great but it'll give you an idea of the size of it (about an inch long). Thanks for any info.

I've never posted images here before so I hope this works!

Meemee

41518MANTID_010-med.jpg

41518MANTID_006-med.jpg

Hi.

It looks like an Acanthops indeed. The genus was revised currently. I may be able to identify the species if I get the specimen when it's dead. It's not falcata.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks everyone!

Francisco, I think I found pics of it on the links you provided.

Here it is:http://ttwebbase.dyndns.org/mantid/view/5.html

It so hard to tell from a photo, but my husband is in the Napo region in Ecuador and the mantis looks quite similar to the ones in the pics.

Unfortunately my husband can't bring it back to Canada but I told him to hang on to it long enough to see if it will produce an ootheca or two. He said that it looked quite fat so hopefully it's full of eggs. I'm going to Ecuador in a few weeks so maybe I'll get a chance to see it up close and personal. :D

Thanks guys!

Meemee

Looks like a mix between dessicata, creobroter and phylocrania (deadleaf, flower and ghost).

Thanks for sharing that with us. Do these every come into the UK because they look very interesting. Anyone got any or any info on them?

Just interested.

Cheers, Cameron.

Looks like a mix between dessicata, creobroter and phylocrania (deadleaf, flower and ghost).Thanks for sharing that with us. Do these every come into the UK because they look very interesting. Anyone got any or any info on them?

Just interested.

Cheers, Cameron.
They used to be quite common in captivity (well as far as unusuals are common) but have died out in captivity as with many species :(

If I ever get round to an import from Belize or Nicuragua I may be able to get some

Hey everyone,

I had no idea that this would generate such interest. Just goes to show how much I know about mantises!

I'm hoping to get a couple of ootheca from it (if he still had the mantis; I haven't talked to him in a few days) and if I do, I have no problem sharing any nymphs that I manage to hatch from it.

Jackson, my husband is an aircraft maintenance engineer (just a fancy name for helicopter mechanic :wink: ). He works deep in the jungle so I've properly coached him on catching and taking pictures of anything unusual (i.e. he just caught a cool looking toad and sent me pics of it). He's also asked the Ecuadorians he works with to bring him any 'neat' looking animals/insects hence the Acanthops.

Cheers,

Meemee

Latest posts