The FIRST Praying Mantis in SPACE!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
Well my Uncle wanted to do an experiment which involves sending some of my Chinese nymphs up into in space. He has set up a hot air baloon type thing (that can be controlled) that will hold a deli cup for the nymphs. It will be cold up there so they are thinking of using hand warmers or heat packs for the ride. :D

They will be up in space for about 3 hours but he cant garentee they will live... but its cool with me. He will use a camera to moderate how they are doing when/if they die. He explained to me that they will most likely not survive but I think it is worth a shot and I think it will be very interesting.

What do you guys think? He asked me to create a suitable deli cup with food, paper towels etc. The heat packs will either be tied around the deli cup with a rubber band or hot glued in with them. Any suggestions or questions? :D

Sorry I am pretty sure Zorak has them beat.

On one claw it sounds neat, on the other claw I don't think I would have the heart to send of mine up if the risks are that great. ;o;

The highest the balloon will make it is the stratosphere. If it did make it to the mesospher or thermosphere you would need a lot of heat packs. Lets not even get into the pressure out there. If they did make it out there and back they would be radioactive and you would die of cancer shortly after taking them out of their deli cups. Outerspace is very extreme. Not nice. Especially to nice little Chinese mantids.

Exactly my point. It is a modified hot air ballon but it will pop when the pressure is to extreme for it to handle. Back up "parachutes" if you will, will float them down saftely after the pop.

I doubt I will die if I handle them afterwards, that is if they live. The point of this experiment is to see how mantids can handle the pressure and temperatures in space. Also to see how long they can survive there for very long. They will only be there for less than 3 hours. More than 2 heat packs will be placed in the cage with them (hot glued to the bottom) Paper towel on the side and a heat pack wrapped around the top. Any suggestions?

I was wondering that to. I asked about Tracking and they were think of a locator chip.

I wouldnt need a heat pack for thos temperatures because it will pop when the pressure is to extreme. Probally in the Stratosphere. Still cold but we can work from that

Exactly my point. It is a modified hot air ballon but it will pop when the pressure is to extreme for it to handle. Back up "parachutes" if you will, will float them down saftely after the pop.

I doubt I will die if I handle them afterwards, that is if they live. The point of this experiment is to see how mantids can handle the pressure and temperatures in space. Also to see how long they can survive there for very long. They will only be there for less than 3 hours. More than 2 heat packs will be placed in the cage with them (hot glued to the bottom) Paper towel on the side and a heat pack wrapped around the top. Any suggestions?
I think this is totally awesome, but since I study science I can see a clear problem in your experiment.

If you want to see how they react to the temperature high up then you shouldn't add heat packs, it's cheating :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is totally awesome, but since I study science I can see a clear problem in your experiment.

If you want to see how they react to the temperature high up then you shouldn't add heat packs, it's cheating :p
Good point. Good point, well actually the main point is to see if they can survive at an higher altitude, with the atmospheric pressure and less oxygen.

Good point. Good point, well actually the main point is to see if they can survive at an higher altitude, with the atmospheric pressure and less oxygen.
I can't wait for the results regardless :D Pretty exciting stuff. I think they will make it, exoskeletons can withstand pretty high pressures

My mom said if successful I have good chance of getting on the news. She also says this experiment will be perfect to write in a college application

Launch should be on the Wednesday in 2 weeks

Ha-ha, this a good one! At first I thought it was a joke? One thing I can say is even if you managed to keep them warm(good luck on that) the air is so thin they will surely die from oxygen deprivation long before they come back down, the container would need to be 100% air tight.

I do remember being a kid though, and how fun this would be to try with your grandpa, and I did build rockets a while back which was a lot of fun, so good luck and have blast or a balloon or what ever... :)